First Double Cut Prs Ish Kill Em All Build

It's true, a member here did it in the past and it looked awful. Kickass job on the body carve! What all did you use to do it?

Thanks! i used an angle grinder just like drak does. i am stuck here until i get my fretboard in, becuase i cant to anymore else until i get the neck done. should i do a rear arm rest carve?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just want the look of the maple binding, not the feel

What feel exactly? The only difference I can think of is that unbound frets may stick out in low humidity, and I can't think of anyone who'd consider that desirable :D

Otherwise, I treat my fretboard edges identically, and blindfolded I couldn't tell you which is which.

i just want the look of the maple binding, not the feel

What feel exactly? The only difference I can think of is that unbound frets may stick out in low humidity, and I can't think of anyone who'd consider that desirable :D

Otherwise, I treat my fretboard edges identically, and blindfolded I couldn't tell you which is which.

Ditto.

alright fine then. i will just not bind it. i dont see what the big deal is about that.

i must admit that i did it once on my first ever bound neck. I didnt think it would really matter... how bad could it really look???

believe me, it was awfull. I am usually quite happy to show my mistakes and bad design decisions but that one still haunts me and i wont take a picture. it is top of the list of guitars i would burn. I dont know why it looks so bad - but it really does

Looking very nice so far, the carve is incredible. and that zebrawood looks very nice. :D

thanks. i finally got some good looking wood.

here are some better views of the carves. the carved part is sanded to 400, and the top and back to 220

DCAM0081-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0078-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0079-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0080-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0082.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0083-1.jpg

Looking SWEET! Nice carve on that. I only just recently understood some of the difficulties in doing carves, such as getting a uniform height all around. I really like your carve and will probably be doing something similar for the next one. I'm glad you went with the double cut idea, as I said when you were deciding, I felt that would be the coolest choice. As for the neck and fretboard, another idea for your neck could be ebony binding. The smooth black along with the all zebra neck sounds like a cool combo to me. Maple sounds good too, just thought I throw out the ebony idea.

Like always I look forward to seeing this guitar. The woods are very nice and will make for an excellent looking guitar. Best wishes with the build, keep the progress pics coming! J

Looking SWEET! Nice carve on that. I only just recently understood some of the difficulties in doing carves, such as getting a uniform height all around. I really like your carve and will probably be doing something similar for the next one. I'm glad you went with the double cut idea, as I said when you were deciding, I felt that would be the coolest choice. As for the neck and fretboard, another idea for your neck could be ebony binding. The smooth black along with the all zebra neck sounds like a cool combo to me. Maple sounds good too, just thought I throw out the ebony idea.

Like always I look forward to seeing this guitar. The woods are very nice and will make for an excellent looking guitar. Best wishes with the build, keep the progress pics coming! J

thanks jason. i could go with ebony binding, if i can find some ebony. im surprized that carve came out as good as it did. i did the rough carve with the grinder, then did the manjority of the final carve with a random orbital sander. thats how i get the "U" shaped carve on it. i am finally getting this down.

I do not mean to sound rude, so please don't take it that way....but, I personally don't think that carve looks complete. It seems more like large bevels than an actual carve top. A view from the top makes it look like there is a large flat surface which suddenly slopes at the sides. You said that the carved part is sanded to 400, and the top and back to 220. On a standard carve top, the "top" and the "carved part" should be smoothly integrated, not obviously separate. But, I do realize that you are going for a more original look, so props for that. Also, I have not carved any tops yet, but I do understand how difficult it must be to do, so I commend you for your good work thus far. :D

I do not mean to sound rude, so please don't take it that way....but, I personally don't think that carve looks complete. It seems more like large bevels than an actual carve top. A view from the top makes it look like there is a large flat surface which suddenly slopes at the sides. You said that the carved part is sanded to 400, and the top and back to 220. On a standard carve top, the "top" and the "carved part" should be smoothly integrated, not obviously separate. But, I do realize that you are going for a more original look, so props for that. Also, I have not carved any tops yet, but I do understand how difficult it must be to do, so I commend you for your good work thus far. :D

well what looks incomplete? the only reason i sanded the carve to 400 and the top to 220 was because the carve is harder to sand and i like to do the harder part first. the flat top can always be easily and quickly sanded to high grits. the carve has to be done by hand. but it dont see what looks incomplete about it, i think it looks the same as many other carves. i dont see the point of blending the carve into the flat smoothly, if you do that then from the front you cant even tell that it is carved. the only thing left to do is to carve the horns, which will be done after the neck pocket is routed.

Edited by killemall8

Maybe its the photo or something, but I don't see that carve looking anything like a bevel. On my build I basically did a bevel, but due to the way the bevel is done, there was no way I could do it routing. This is more like bevels than a smooth carve, even though there is some blending done on the areas that have different widths, which were a bitch to make perfect. Bevel Carved top As I said I think it may be the picture that is deceiving, but all in all the carve looks good and fairly standard to me. I swear one day you should do an easy build and put it up for trade for a nice camera, I think it would be well worth your while. J

Not a fan of the carve, but it's executed very well and you should keep it if you like it. In my experience carving tops(8 so far), whenever I think I'm done carving I always end up going back and smoothing out the roundness of the carve a lot more. Here's a pic that shows the contours of one of the last carve tops I did.

261986603.jpg

I like it and in looking around most of it is close to some PRS type guitars, I think if the lower portion was smoothed more, so the lip was near invisible around the bottom, it would be very close. The horn and sides look very close to the PRS type guitars I just looked at, just the bottom has a more pronounced lip to it, which I like, but thats just my strange sense of style. I still think the pictures exaggerate the carve a bit. Either way, I think it looks good and has been well done. Keep up the solid progress and best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

well i cant belive no one likes it! that really surprizes me. it is my best clean work so far, best jointing, best everything that can happen at this point. i dont know, if i saw this on somone elses it think i would like it. i could do it like all other carves, but i dont want to do it like that. thats why i diddnt. like i said before, i dont see the point of doing a carve if you cant tell its carved from a front view. i did that on my les paul and i diddnt like it. but o well i like it so, yeah. i got the fretboard in today, great looking piece of zebarawood. just waiting for a package from doeringers to continue.

Edited by killemall8

well i cant belive no one likes it! that really surprizes me. it is my best clean work so far, best jointing, best everything that can happen at this point. i dont know, if i saw this on somone elses it think i would like it. i could do it like all other carves, but i dont want to do it like that. thats why i diddnt. like i said before, i dont see the point of doing a carve if you cant tell its carved from a front view. i did that on my les paul and i diddnt like it. but o well i like it so, yeah. i got the fretboard in today, great looking piece of zebarawood. just waiting for a package from doeringers to continue.

Nobody said that they didn't like your project, we just informed you that the carve does not look the same as more traditional guitars. This is where personal opinion is important and there is no one particular way to do things. It looks different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it looks bad. You are right, that this is some of your cleanest work so far. You should be proud. Can't wait to see the rest of the project. :D

i would get it mocked up with all the parts. Once you see it with a neck on and pickups and bridge in the right place you will be able to tell better if you like it or not. For me, i dont think it looks bad but i am not sure what is going to happen in the cutaways - that could make or break it.

nothing to stop you smoothing the flat part into the carve if you decide you dont like it at that stage. but i think its an intersting look that might just work

Remember, we guitarists are a conservative lot. Most of the stuff we design, build, and play hasn't really seen much innovation since the 1950s.

While I don't usually like "german carves" I also don't like the Mosrite aesthetic. Yours might well be different... indeed some of the other pics I've seen of this guitar look very nice. I think people are just put off by the dramatic nature of the carve...

Oh, it's very well executed, but like TermjinStrife says, it's also about taste. I like designs that are 'modern classics', ie relatively modern, curved, flowing lines, but with fairly classic touches to them (carves similar to the violin world, so flowing rather than abrupt, although the artfully placed ridge or highlight in the right place can do wonders). I like my carves a bit deeper than on most Les Pauls and PRS, and they're visible from the front if you know what you're looking for, trust me. It's a nice carve, but it's not the kind of carve for me.

Still, it's really good, clean work, keep sharing!

It looks very well exicuted. The carve itself does not strike me, but that is just me(others will like it I am sure). I think what is less attractive to me about it, is the large flat surface, and the way it creates two almost identical shapes(top and outer shape of the body). Kinda smooth and blunt in a very linear sort of way if that makes sense. Some people would be attracted to EXACTLY what I do not find appealing. So keep up the great work, and stay true to what appeals to you :D .

Rich