First Double Cut Prs Ish Kill Em All Build

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good! I like the canarywood fingerboard, does it require a finish like maple does? I'm glad you liked the gfs pickups because I am planning on using them for my project too. Do they sound good clean (non-distortion, acoustic type stuff I guess)? Any plans for the next build? :D

Looks good! I like the canarywood fingerboard, does it require a finish like maple does? I'm glad you liked the gfs pickups because I am planning on using them for my project too. Do they sound good clean (non-distortion, acoustic type stuff I guess)? Any plans for the next build? :D

no, it doesnt need a finish like maple. they sound excellent clean. both bridge and the neck pickup. great volume too. i have 3 designs in mind for my next build, but i cant decide. and i never do until i have the wood and am cutting it out. i am so indecisive i change plans every 77.2 seconds. i timed it once.

High points;

The carve looks clean, your routing on the cavities looks clean. Hardware fits the color scheme well, and looks cleanly installed. Everything seems to be pretty good.

Not so sure points;

Volute and joint lines look a little odd to me, Heel joint looks odd(may just be in the pic), heel to body transition looks harsh and doesn't seem to flow(I might have blended a bit more), rear cavity cover is kinda out of place, I probably would have finished the fret markers, carved top on body and flat back seem a bit odd. Mostly personal preference stuff here so no harm no foul either way :D .

Hope that is the kinda feedback you were after. It seemed like you prefer honest opinions over, a generic atta boy(although, its a nice build so atta boy :D ).

Peace,Rich

High points;

The carve looks clean, your routing on the cavities looks clean. Hardware fits the color scheme well, and looks cleanly installed. Everything seems to be pretty good.

Not so sure points;

Volute and joint lines look a little odd to me, Heel joint looks odd(may just be in the pic), heel to body transition looks harsh and doesn't seem to flow(I might have blended a bit more), rear cavity cover is kinda out of place, I probably would have finished the fret markers, carved top on body and flat back seem a bit odd. Mostly personal preference stuff here so no harm no foul either way :D .

Hope that is the kinda feedback you were after. It seemed like you prefer honest opinions over, a generic atta boy(although, its a nice build so atta boy :D ).

Peace,Rich

yup, that is what i was going for. i wanted to use a black control cavity cover, but i cant find any material at least 3/8" thick besides wood. i will soon put a matching mahogany one. thanks again

OK, since you're looking for some sincere feedback. Just take into account that most of the following criticisms may well be just a matter of taste.

I am not crazy about the top carving. I prefer designs that "flow" better. Still I have to admit that it is cleanly executed and in the finished product it looks much better.

I don't like the carving of the heel and the volute. They look too "squarish" to me. Maybe they're exactly what you were after, but they look like a rushed work out of lack of patience to me. Functionally speaking, the heel is quite small, but if the joint is solid it may not be an issue at all. The volute should be behind the nut to serve any purpose, but the headstock-neck transition seems to be thick enough anyway.

The design of the PRS headstock is intended to allow for straight string pull from the nut to the tuners, doing it differently looks slightly "wrong" to me but is just a matter of personal choice.

Even if you decide not to do a belly carve, the back of the body would look much more "finished" with at least a roundover around the perimeter.

On the other hand, it was really fast, as anticipated. You have finished the guitar and I haven't even finished the neck of mine. :D

• 4 weeks later...