First Double Cut Prs Ish Kill Em All Build

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are those tuner holes lined up? Because the way it seems in all those pictures is that they go off the wrong way.

what do yo mean?

What I mean is it seems as though they are not in line with the nut and therefore an angle at the nut will be present, and the strings wont be going straight to the tuners.

Edited by TheIRS

i really dont want to. on a gibson scale fb the slots are so close together that i am afraid of chipping one of them off, like i did on 3 frets already, and i had to glue them.

Make yourself do it...no problem gluing the slots back together, though you don't have to rout so close to them either. Too close and the frets will cover the edges of the inlays.

I'd also knock down the edges of that carve and make it more of an arch rather than a plateau.

How are you routing for your inlays? Maybe we could offer a suggestion that would make the process a little more predictable. If you are dead set against finishing the inlays, that is cool. It is just an offer, and not meant to pressure you into doing something you don't want to consider :D

Peace,Rich

How are you routing for your inlays? Maybe we could offer a suggestion that would make the process a little more predictable. If you are dead set against finishing the inlays, that is cool. It is just an offer, and not meant to pressure you into doing something you don't want to consider :D

Peace,Rich

i really really dont want to. i first trace my inlay on the fb with a very sharp mechanical pencil, becuase they have very thin leads that can get flush against what you are tracing. then i use a very sharp long razor that i have and i cut the outline of the inlay as deep as i can. then i deepen it with a router and a 1/8" bit. then i clean up again with the razor. i know i sound all **** about it but i would rather people not like it than not be able to use it at all. thanks for always offering to help Rich.

Peace,Rich

i really really dont want to. i first trace my inlay on the fb with a very sharp mechanical pencil, becuase they have very thin leads that can get flush against what you are tracing. then i use a very sharp long razor that i have and i cut the outline of the inlay as deep as i can. then i deepen it with a router and a 1/8" bit. then i clean up again with the razor. i know i sound all **** about it but i would rather people not like it than not be able to use it at all. thanks for always offering to help Rich.

Fair enough :D

Haha, I dunno I find some words randomly that get edited for no reason. On another board I know the word "freaking" would always get edited, don't think it does here, but I'll see with this post. Anyhow, I did my inlays almost exacty the same as you. I found those initial razor blade cuts to be one of the more important steps, they really help to prevent from routing outside the lines, the deeper the cuts the better I found. Well, cool stuff and it looks good. Best of luck. J

Looks good, I love the carve and I actually like the look of the fretboard, its almost like, it flows with the body.

Plus, later on down the road, when you get more practice in, you can add a nice inlay pattern to it if you wanted :D

Curtis

Lovin' it man! That came out exceptionally well I feel and as I said, I really dig that carve. Like you said before, I like being able to see that there is a carve going on from a frontal view, it gives it depth and alters how the design comes across. Just a nice rig right there and I bet it sounds very nice. Well, once again great work. Keep up your work and keep us posted, best of luck. J

thanks jason. my parts were shipped ups, and i hate ups more than anything. it is 3 times the price as usps, and is as slow as the slowest usps. i have never gotten a package later than 4 days after it was shipped when shipped thru priority mail. i hate ups with a passion. with the tracking info, it is ridiculous. it goes all the way across the country in 3 days, then stays in the state next to me for 3 days. i hate it. so i wont have my parts until nex wednesday. then i can have it put fully together.

That looks pretty sweet. The color of the wood is great, and I'm liking the carved top more every time i see it. The headstock looks a little crooked to me, though. I'm not sure why.... It looks tilted towards the bass side. *shrug* maybe the angle of the pictures, who knows?

Is the guitar finished yet? If not, what does your finishing schedule look like?

And are you still going with the Seymour pickups?

Yeah, I think that's all the questions I had :D Peace!

That neck joint makes me a little nervous - whilst you have quite a lot of area glued in the pickup route, the way you have stacked and shaped your heel leaves maybe 2" of glue joint holding the neck against string tension. I fear you may well suffer from instability like the first generation of LPDC specials did, though I hope to be proved wrong!

That looks pretty sweet. The color of the wood is great, and I'm liking the carved top more every time i see it. The headstock looks a little crooked to me, though. I'm not sure why.... It looks tilted towards the bass side. *shrug* maybe the angle of the pictures, who knows?

Is the guitar finished yet? If not, what does your finishing schedule look like?

And are you still going with the Seymour pickups?

Yeah, I think that's all the questions I had :D Peace!

well for now, i wont have duncans. i am going to use guitarfetish pickups for now until i sell some of my stuff. it is off to the bass side, but only microscopicly, and the pics and angles show it more than it really is. as for finishing, it is finished. but no hard finish. it has many many coats of linseed oil. it works exactly like true oil, as you can sand with it and build a thick layer.

That neck joint makes me a little nervous - whilst you have quite a lot of area glued in the pickup route, the way you have stacked and shaped your heel leaves maybe 2" of glue joint holding the neck against string tension. I fear you may well suffer from instability like the first generation of LPDC specials did, though I hope to be proved wrong!

i hope not. i did one a while back where there was maybe 1 inch of glued surface, and it held up fine. but it could change with this build. i hope not.