Ultimate Sorta-"shredder" Guitar:

Dave I

Just to revise this and ask an updated question with my train of thought.

I am planning a bolt-on Super-Strat, maybe with a 24-fret body cut-away for better fret access, but only 22-frets for better (for my preference) pickup-placement. Planning on a 25.5" scale, 12 or 14" fretboard radius, probably going to go with a Floyd or a Kahler tremolo, HSH pickup config w/ coil taps, and would like to try a blended heel or something that is attaches without a heel like the Dingwall Afterburner II bass as long as I do not have to put a pickguard on the front of the guitar.

Anyway, as for the wood choices, here is I am considering:

1) Mahogany body with a Maple/Walnut laminate neck and possibly a Maple cap.

2) Alder body with a Maple/Walnut laminate neck and possibly a Maple cap.

3) Basswood body with (you guessed it) a Maple/Walnut laminate neck and possibly a Maple cap.

4) Mahogany body with a Mahogany neck, and possibly a Maple cap.

Any pro's or cons between these body constructions? I am considering Alder or Mahogany as my primary body choices, not sure how to decide between the two. The preference for the Maple in the neck in this case for a little more articulate sound and attack, and a Maple/Walnut laminate made sense for more strength (as recommended in Hiscock's book). However, I am planning this for more of the metal and high-gain stuff, while doing double duty for the really clean stuff that would be good for practicing my technique without hiding behind any any muddiness yet still sounding full and not shrill.

I have some time before I make this (getting ready to start my first build on another guitar), but any advice for making a decision would welcome.

-Cheers

Edited by Dave I

Alder will give you a more snappy, clear sound, while mahogany has less "presence" and more lower-mid "push."

For a clear solo sound alder will give you slightly more "cut" and snap on the strings, while mahogany has a warmer sound. Imagine a gentle EQ "smile" and you have alder... go for a slight angle towards the bass side and you have mahogany.

Alder will give you a more snappy, clear sound, while mahogany has less "presence" and more lower-mid "push."

For a clear solo sound alder will give you slightly more "cut" and snap on the strings, while mahogany has a warmer sound. Imagine a gentle EQ "smile" and you have alder... go for a slight angle towards the bass side and you have mahogany.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I am playing through a Marshall Vintage Modern 50-watt, either through the high-gain mode or a Fulltone OCD pedal when I am going for the quasi-metal sound. Not sure if any combination would be better suited for that setup or if it makes any difference whatsoever.

-Cheers

Edited by Dave I

At that point, it'll be more down to what pickups you use... each interacts differently with each wood. It's subtle, generally; and with a maple thru-neck you'll be getting a lot of the "maple" tone as the strings primarily resonate on the neck. It's all a sort of voodoo though; each piece of wood and guitar is different.

My project parts guitar (and my only one of alder) is a dramatically different beast from all my other guitars. It's a Floyd-rose equipped bolt-on with a Jackson maple neck and rosewood board, attached to a NOS alder Kramer or Charvel S-style body. Pickups are an EMG 85/SA/SA with volume and two tones, but there's also an LED wired in there that may be affecting the sound somewhat. I'm not totally sure since my father designed the wiring diagram for that part. It's got an amazing and defined sound with great "chunk" for metal and incredible sparkling cleans, even on the 85 bridge humbucker, and it really (depending on amp settings) sings or sears on leads, with a more precise "modern" touch.

Contrarily, I have an EMG 89 neck/ 85 bridge (volume and tone knobs) modified Jackson SLSMG Superlight Soloist (amazing guitar) that is very different in materials and construction, and thus results in a different 'flavor' of guitar tone. The guitar itself is mahogany, with a mahogany neckthru (really slim neck) with ebony fingerboard and Tune-o-matic string-through-body. The lead and rhythm tones through the 85 (same pickup) in the bridge are more middy, with some great honk that sounds like a non-flabby and more focused Les Paul. It doesn't have the bite or immediate snap of the alder-bodied Superstrat, but has a really crushing rhythm tone and a slightly more "classic" sound.

Also note that the 89 splits into an SA in the neck, which sounds dramatically different from the neck SA in the parts guitar... the neck SA in the alder guitar sounds like a great glassy Strat (think Gilmour) but the split SA in the SLSMG sounds very acoustic-like.

Note that these differences are most likely due more to the neck attachment methods and bridges, but they also do tend to follow the "accepted" tonal qualities of the body woods.

Sorry for the essay, but I felt I had to qualify myself and explain where my reasoning came from.

At that point, it'll be more down to what pickups you use... each interacts differently with each wood. It's subtle, generally; and with a maple thru-neck you'll be getting a lot of the "maple" tone as the strings primarily resonate on the neck. It's all a sort of voodoo though; each piece of wood and guitar is different.

I am planning on a bolt-on Maple neck, not a neck-through. But I get your point.

Sorry for the essay, but I felt I had to qualify myself and explain where my reasoning came from.

Hey, I was HOPING for an essay. I need all the information I can get just so I make an informed and smart decision.

Still not sure which way to go, but leaning toward Alder; trying to get the sparklingly clean tone with good clarity for the high-gain stuff, just to get a lot of diversity. I love Mahogany, but my Hamer Studio covers that already so I could go either way. I just want sparkling and clear without super-bright or shrill.

Regardless, thanks for the information & opinions. They are greatly appreciated!

-Cheers

I am planning on a bolt-on Maple neck, not a neck-through. But I get your point.

Hey, I was HOPING for an essay. I need all the information I can get just so I make an informed and smart decision.

Still not sure which way to go, but leaning toward Alder; trying to get the sparklingly clean tone with good clarity for the high-gain stuff, just to get a lot of diversity. I love Mahogany, but my Hamer Studio covers that already so I could go either way. I just want sparkling and clear without super-bright or shrill.

Regardless, thanks for the information & opinions. They are greatly appreciated!

-Cheers

From what you're saying, you sound like you'd prefer the tonality of alder.