Pure Tung Oil On Neck?

Omega

After sanding down my Ibanez Wizard neck (maple), I applied three coats of 100% tung oil as the finish. It felt great for a while...but pretty much rubbed off after a couple of months of playing. Also, I didn't pore fill, so I can see the open pores, for what it's worth.

Does anybobdy have any suggestions? I'd really want to get the same tung oil feel back, but I want it to last.

Thanks.

After sanding down my Ibanez Wizard neck (maple), I applied three coats of 100% tung oil as the finish. It felt great for a while...but pretty much rubbed off after a couple of months of playing. Also, I didn't pore fill, so I can see the open pores, for what it's worth.

Does anybobdy have any suggestions? I'd really want to get the same tung oil feel back, but I want it to last.

Thanks.

I tung oiled the neck of a kit guitar I built. I didn't notice the finish rubbing off, but then again, it was >7 years ago. It may be that tung oil isn't a "premanent" finish for highly touched surfaces. The bookcase I finished with T/U still has the same dull sheen it had when it was newly finished.

Maybe the oil is still in the wood, but the surface has been smoothed by the friction of your hand.

If nobody here can conclusively answer, try asking a local woodworking store.

well, what is the brand you are using?

the problem w/ ''tung oil'' is that theres a lot of things called tung oil

'real' tung oil (china) has a very sweet(?) smell and takes weeks/ months to tottally cure;

then the minwax stuff which is actually varnish that has been diluted so much to make it able to be wiped on and cure fast;

ive used it on necks too and ive had no big problems;

but if you did use one of these 'fake' oils, the problem might be that being varish, it just sits on the wood and wears instead of penetrating and sealing deep in the wood;

a good test for oil is to make a puddle in a dish and stick a tall cut off in it; leave it in there a day or so;

if it is oil; the oil will travel all the way up thru the grain to the top; and it wont harden for quite a while