Cracked Acoustic

hey guys a friend of mine banged his guitar off a table and now has a crack down the back of his acoustic taylor going along the grain. iv never had to fix somthing like this. im not saying im going to fix it im just wondering the best way to fix it. thanks alot im probably taking it to my mentor that taught me evertthing i know but he is away for the next few days. my friend is freaking out, i just want an answer on how we will fix it so he will calm down lol

hey guys a friend of mine banged his guitar off a table and now has a crack down the back of his acoustic taylor going along the grain. iv never had to fix somthing like this. im not saying im going to fix it im just wondering the best way to fix it. thanks alot im probably taking it to my mentor that taught me evertthing i know but he is away for the next few days. my friend is freaking out, i just want an answer on how we will fix it so he will calm down lol

Try the OLF forum if you dont get any answers, but this is a major deal if it cracked though all the braces. Yikes. Tell him the back is not important structurally like the top, so that should calm him a bit. Id like to hear what info if any you get....

Tough call without some pics, it depends on how long/wide the crack is and if there is any damage to the structural "innards" of the guitar. If bracing is cracked and/or separated from the back then things get a bit complicated. You have to figure a way to glue and clamp simultaneously in 2 dimensions. But you would have had to hit the guitar mighty hard to break internal bracing. A common practice is to span the width of the crack (where there is no bracing) with thincut, lightweight hardwood "splints". I recently fixed side cracks this way on my friend's Larivee. (For god's sake, take that bundle of keys out of your POCKET! :D ) You have to see how much flex the crack(s) have for getting glue into the right spots. There is some excellent info at Frets.com regarding fixing, maintaining etc. acoustic instruments.

Edited by Southpa