Stop Piece Posts/bushings

mingus

I have just installed the stop piece bushings on my first build and have found that they are about 3mm too close together (i.e., the stop piece won't fit onto the posts). I guess the only realistic way to fix this is to pull the bushings out, plug the holes and redrill them, but before i go to this effort, are there any other options available to me?

Assuming i do pull the bushings, i have the following questions:-

- Are there any tricks to getting them out other than protecting the body with a sheet of scrap and using a claw hammer or somthing to lever them up?

- How can i figure out weather i need to move one of the posts or both? The body is completely finished so no longer has a centreline on it to measure from.

Thanks in advance

A good way to check position is to take the two outer strings and string them up as you would normally. Basically as black labb said. Just run the two outer strings or some fishing line down across the bridge and onto the tailpiece, this should show you whats up and where the bushings should go. Anyhow, the string thing works pretty well. Hopefully at least one of them is set right, so you don't have to do both. As for plugging the old hole, ask around as there are certains ways that are better than others, or so I have read. As for pulling them out, there is a special little tool you can make or buy that can pull bushings without making a mess of the hole like using a claw hammer would. Here is a link to the tool Bushing puller. Hope that helps, should be much better than using a hammer, though I have never tried one. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

Thanks fro that, it looks like i should be able to just move one of the posts which will make the process much quicker. Lckily i still have plent of scrap timber around so should be able to make a plug to match.

That bushing/knob puller looks great, i think i'll try to find a local repairer and see if i can get them to pull it out for me.

If this is only the stoptail, not the bridge, then why not modify the stoptail itself?

You can shave the sides of the stoptail, or narrow out the studs, or both. Of course, you'll lose some of the chrome plating, but if you're careful, that won't be visible. If you're worried about stability, you can tap side screws to look the tailpiece down. But since it's the tailpiece, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

It might also be possible to find narrower studs that fit the bushings.

I suggest buying a laser sight, or even two, they're very helpful for this kind of thing and they're not expensive. The lasers serve as the string lines. You won't have to pull the bushings either, just place the stop tail in position without the studs inserted.

You can shave the sides of the stoptail, or narrow out the studs, or both. Of course, you'll lose some of the chrome plating, but if you're careful, that won't be visible.

I did think about this but was concerned about leaving visible marks on the studs/tailpiece, perhaps it is worth some more thought...

It might also be possible to find narrower studs that fit the bushings.

Now why didn't i think of this? I will investigate the sizes of various studs tomorrow.

Well, i couldn't find a stud which was narrow enough to do the job, so i decided to have a go at filing one of the ones i have to fit. It worked perfectly and all the filing marks are hidden be the tailpiece once it is fitted.

Any ideas if the exposed metal will now be susceptible to rust? I think i'll give it a coat of clear varnish or something just to be safe.

Thanks again for your input.