Different string spacing

moojiefulagin

the first one is a opinion, but i say yes, and the second is yes...

if the polepeice isn't directly under the string you'll get a little bit different sound, i've noticed it isn't as loud and not as brite

Is it a major problem if the bridge string spacing doesn't match the pickup pole spacing exactly? Will it make a big difference if the string doesn't run right down the center of the polepiece? Thanks a lot!

One thing to keep in mind is that it's preferable that the E-strings not lie outside of the outer poles. In other words, if the high E-string is not directly over the pole, it's better for it to be between the poles of the E and B strings than to be on the other side of the pole because at least part of the magnetic field of the B-string's pole will make up what the E-string pole is missing. That's why having F-spaced pickups under non-F-spaced strings is better than having non-F-spaced pickups under F-spaced strings.

i'm an active pickup, and i make a lot of the guitars i'm in sound the same.' 

no more so than any other pickup.that is a common misconception.the sound varies ALOT depending on the wood used.

I'd agree with Wes on this -

I'm not sure why so many people think this is true. It may be that people don't understand what an active pickup actually does/is. It does not generate the sound like a keyboard or synth - it takes the sound made by the guitar (based on it's acoustic properties) and amplifies it. It also filters the sound before passing it along to the amp / effects. Active pickups cannot duplicate the sound from guitar to guitar. Maybe it's the filtering that makes people believe this? I don't think it's much different than saying that your EQ/amp will make all guitars paying through it sound the same.

i guess it really depends on how far the pole pieces are from the strings. i have a homemade strat copy with a standard fender vintage trem, and a non f-spaced dimarzio fred in the bridge position. the e strings sit just a little off of the poles. i had this same pick up in an old dc les paul, and the volume of the pick up over every string didn't change, although the sound did. that was most likely due to the change from mahogony to alder.

just try not to be too far off of the poles.

ps. i have emg's in a couple of my guitars now, a peavey wolfgang sp, and a jackson. pv is basswood, and the jacko is alder. they sound completly different, the only similarity is the high output. :D

When Seymour wound some PAF's and stuck 'em in a Tele for Jeff Beck (Blow by Blow) the slight string misalignment did'nt affect anything (to my ears anyway... B) )

When I made my TG, the JB bridge pup poles were off the string spacing...the Jazz neck lined up perfect. I think any differences would be minor and can be compensated by pup height or pole height...in fact, Seymour mentioned that the screws on the JB pup should be raised up so the bottom of the head lies flush with the top of the bobbin. I did this and the pups (I did the Jazz also) kick ass. I reread his article months later and I missed that tiny tidbit. :D