A Strat Neck Finish Question

toolfan88

well i just picked up a strat neck. it feels like it has no finish on it. its a squier guitar made in indonesia. it plays really nice thats why i got it. should i leave what ever finish is on it? do you know what finish is on it? im trying to find out on some other sites but no luck yet. should i refinish it with somthing else. im only asking this because somone once told me that a poly stain was the best for a neck it helps it stay straight and not warp. is this true?

well i just picked up a strat neck. it feels like it has no finish on it. its a squier guitar made in indonesia. it plays really nice thats why i got it. should i leave what ever finish is on it? do you know what finish is on it? im trying to find out on some other sites but no luck yet. should i refinish it with somthing else. im only asking this because somone once told me that a poly stain was the best for a neck it helps it stay straight and not warp. is this true?

1) It's got a finish on, probably a thin satin polyurethane of some sort. No need to finish over it, particularly if you like how it feels already.

2) Poly stain...not sure what that means. A stain will change the colour of something, but pretty much requires you work with raw, unfinished, unsealed wood. And no, it won't do diddly to keep the neck straight, and there are tons and tons of finishes that are perfectly acceptable for necks. Warmoth won't warranty oil finished necks (or maybe they do now, but didn't in the past), because they claimed it offered insufficient protection from moisture shifts. Personally, I've never had problems with oil finishes (not straight oil, stuff like TruOil or Danish Oil, which are oil-based varnishes, really), and I've never seen anyone complain of warpage in an oil finished neck - at least, not any more frequently than I've seen stories of necks with hard finishes warping badly. Warmoth sees much more warrantee stuff than I do, I'm sure, but actual cases described seem to be few and far between, and there are tons and tons of high-end basses and quite a number of guitars (MusicMan/Ernie Ball) with oil finished necks and/or bodies that are doing fantastically well, thankyouverymuchindeed.

I have an Indonesia squire neck floating around too. We bought it for dirt cheap just to mess around with. I ended up shooting it in lacquer and it turned out really nice. I have to admit that for a squire neck this one was setup pretty nicely.

try tung oil varnish found at Home depot.

tape off the finger board and you can simply had rub this on and wipe off let dry.

do this several time and it will be a nice finish.

im not saying im doing anything to the neck yet, but when i do should i sand the neck first? (as explained in tutorals and what not) or just leave it and apply the lacquer right to the neck?

same question for the tung oil varnish. i have some in my basement. should i sand the neck first or just apply right to it?

im not going to touch the neck for a little while, from what iv been told what is on the neck is doing good as is. it was mainly worried about the neck being subjected to the crazy climates here in boston. but if i am understanding all this right then its fine and everything else is just a finish. thanks

sorry if those questions are stupid.

I have an Indonesia squire neck floating around too. We bought it for dirt cheap just to mess around with. I ended up shooting it in lacquer and it turned out really nice. I have to admit that for a squire neck this one was setup pretty nicely.

try tung oil varnish found at Home depot.

tape off the finger board and you can simply had rub this on and wipe off let dry.

do this several time and it will be a nice finish.

im not saying im doing anything to the neck yet, but when i do should i sand the neck first? (as explained in tutorals and what not) or just leave it and apply the lacquer right to the neck?

same question for the tung oil varnish. i have some in my basement. should i sand the neck first or just apply right to it?

im not going to touch the neck for a little while, from what iv been told what is on the neck is doing good as is. it was mainly worried about the neck being subjected to the crazy climates here in boston. but if i am understanding all this right then its fine and everything else is just a finish. thanks

sorry if those questions are stupid.

If its a matter of it being rough to the feel use a fine finishing polish to smooth it out. Buff it if you have the tools.

I have an Indo Squier neck from the Cort factory. It had a thin poly finish. I lightly sanded it, applied a couple of coats of Deft lacquer, then Reranch Neck Amber to taste. I then finished with about a full can of Deft. After curing it was wetsanded and polished.

click

th_ATT00018.jpg th_070623004.jpg th_070623008.jpg

Kluson kindalike tuners and a new nut and it plays like a champ.