Mahogany Acoustic Commission

I just started work on a new acoustic commission.

He is a lefty so it will be left handed w/cutaway.

It will have a figured mahogany back with a sitka spruce top and rosewood bindings.

The tuners will be chrome schaller with ebony buttons and it will have fishman prefix electronics.

Pictures to come.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started work on a new acoustic commission.

He is a lefty so it will be left handed w/cutaway.

It will have a figured mahogany back with a sitka spruce top and rosewood bindings.

The tuners will be chrome schaller with ebony buttons and it will have fishman prefix electronics.

Pictures to come.

So you have to make the mold special, or can you use your other ones?

So you have to make the mold special, or can you use your other ones?

I think he can use the same one, just change the back with the top. that's how i do it.

Yeah thats right. You just have to glue the top on the back and the back on the top (making sure to sand the correct radius into the right rim of course).

• 3 weeks later...
In case your wondering why there are no progress pictures yet, the wood got stolen for this guitar so I had to order some new stuff. Shouldn't get here till late next week.

The suspects are usually someone you know or who know you...hope they know how to use it anyway.Sorry for your loss tho,I do feel your pain.

The suspects are usually someone you know or who know you

Although I'm sure that has happened before, I don't seriously think you could assume anytime something like this happens, it's from someone who knows you, that is a ridiculous assumption and a very negative outlook on life in general to assume such a thing.

Daniel, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'll say this:

You are young. This won't be the first time something like this happens, so just look at it as a learning lesson, and not a lesson on how to gracefully accept a loss either. Maybe it will come to that in the end, but use this opportunity to learn what your options really are, you do have some options here.

I have read so many posts about UPS losing or breaking goods over the years I have lost count, must be in the hundreds, so although I can't tell you how to proceed from personal experience, if it happened to me today, I would go visit my top 10 favorite guitar/amp forums, go to their search engine, type in 'UPS Lost', and start reading threads.

I have read TONS of tips on what to do on these threads. Fortunately, I have not had to deal with it personally, but you will find many many many tips and clues as to how best to proceed from these threads...the information is right there for you, but you will have to invest the time and research, just like learning how to build guitars really.

Don't just accept it so easily, and don't get too angry, just approach it calmly and figure that there is no better time than now to learn how to deal with this, because it won't be the last time probably.

I really hope you look into it, don't give up, and either get your wood back or get reimbursed somehow.

Don't just take UPS' word for it and let it go at that, they do not always have the last word in these matters. :D

The suspects are usually someone you know or who know you

Although I'm sure that has happened before, I don't seriously think you could assume anytime something like this happens, it's from someone who knows you, that is a ridiculous assumption and a very negative outlook on life in general to assume such a thing.

Daniel, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I'll say this:

You are young. This won't be the first time something like this happens, so just look at it as a learning lesson, and not a lesson on how to gracefully accept a loss either. Maybe it will come to that in the end, but use this opportunity to learn what your options really are, you do have some options here.

I have read so many posts about UPS losing or breaking goods over the years I have lost count, must be in the hundreds, so although I can't tell you how to proceed from personal experience, if it happened to me today, I would go visit my top 10 favorite guitar/amp forums, go to their search engine, type in 'UPS Lost', and start reading threads.

I have read TONS of tips on what to do on these threads. Fortunately, I have not had to deal with it personally, but you will find many many many tips and clues as to how best to proceed from these threads...the information is right there for you, but you will have to invest the time and research, just like learning how to build guitars really.

Don't just accept it so easily, and don't get too angry, just approach it calmly and figure that there is no better time than now to learn how to deal with this, because it won't be the last time probably.

I really hope you look into it, don't give up, and either get your wood back or get reimbursed somehow.

Don't just take UPS' word for it and let it go at that, they do not always have the last word in these matters. :D

Oh I'm not angry, just a bit disappointed. I know I'll get my money back, the problem is I'll never see the wood, and it was a really really pretty piece of figured mahogany.

The replacement wood finally arrived, so the building can now get underway.

Some people were asking me how I joint the top/back with a hand plane so here are some pictures.

IMG_6685.jpg

The wood is elevated around an inch or so off of a stable flat surface (in this case a table) and the plane is turned on it's side so the blade is 90 to the joint. The wood is clamped down so it doesn't move and than you can plane to your hearts content ensuring that the blade is being held exactly 90 to the work.

That plane is an old stanley thats over 100 years old. I picked it up at a garage sale for $30 and it's in great condition. It just takes a few strokes of that to make a perfect surface.

• 4 weeks later...

Side braces/tapes? Still don't know why you haven't switched the a bending machine though man. It's really easy, not to mention, it'd make having to clean up some of those burn marks like in the waist a non-issue cause they wouldn't be there.

Looks good so far though. Can't wait to see more. Rosette? Top material?

Chris

Awesome work Godin, I think my next set of linings will be the reversed type. The slots facing inward makes more sense after making my 335 body with the traditional style (out facing slots) I was able to flex the sides a good amount before glueing on the top and back. -Vinny

• 2 weeks later...