Rg350 + Evolution

thespen

Hey guys, I recently did some electronics work for a friend in his Ibanez RG350. He wanted a Dimarzio evolution put in so I did it, following ibanez and dimarzio's respective wiring diagrams I removed the old INF-4 pickup, red from switch space 1 white from switch space 6 and bare from ground. I then put the Dimarzio Evolution in as suggested by dimarzio for the 4 wire conductor, red to hot position in this case switch space 1 white + black to the old white position switch space 6 and green + bare to ground. Having done this we plugged it in and it seemed fine but now he is complaining of the evolution sounding very bright and tinny compared to the INF-3 in the neck. Also when he tries to sweep the notes get all muddy and lost (and no this is not due to him playing bad :D). Tapping also results in unstaisfied preformance as according to him the output is weak and he has to tap twice as hard to get the same output as the inf pickups. And finally he says theres about 50% less sustain coming from it. Some people I have talked to have suggested it may be out of phase though I don't think it sounds characteristic of a phase shift from what I heard and seeing as how I have followed the diagrams I don't know what to suggest to him, so I'm coming to you guys to bail me out If it were my guitar I'd tinker with it until I got right it but I don't have it in hand and don't want to ruin it so any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks for your help.

PS: here are the diagrams from Ibanez and Dimarzio

Ibanez:

ibanezwiringya5.gif

Dimarzio:

dimarziohshwiringsx0.png

I'd say go over all of your wiring again, check for bad solder joints, and do continuity checks with the switch positions to make sure you've got the right wires soldered to the right lugs.

Another thing to think about is pickup height. Evo's use mammoth ceramic magnets that'll pull like hell on those strings and can greatly affect sustain if you're not using the right equipment. Evo's also tend to sound very bright in the neck, too.

If everything's soldered up correctly, you've lowered the pickups, and it still sounds bad, use DiMarzio's 30-day exchange program and trade 'em for some Breeds or PAF Pros. Or just unload the Evo's and go back to the old INFs if that's what he likes better.

All right I checked all my solders after I did it, I've been soldering for years know so I doubt thats the problem. I've wired it as I said above which is what they say to do so I think its ok that way. As for hieght I believe he was tinkering with it a bit so I don't think thats the problem either I guess we're just gonna pull it and try a new one, I know he plans on getting a PAF pro for the neck soon so we'll have to see what happens, thanks.

If you get a chance to open it up again, I would make sure you didn't fry the switch. I've seen a lot of switches just go bad by the heat of the solder gun. Take a short jumper and just Jump together the to poles 1 and 6. If she comes through hot... the switch went to crap. Contact switches, on newer guitars, the blade types, are just plain crap and are always the first among all of my personal upgrades

If you get a chance to open it up again, I would make sure you didn't fry the switch. I've seen a lot of switches just go bad by the heat of the solder gun. Take a short jumper and just Jump together the to poles 1 and 6. If she comes through hot... the switch went to crap. Contact switches, on newer guitars, the blade types, are just plain crap and are always the first among all of my personal upgrades

Word...I replaced the cheap stock plastic switch in my Strat with an upgraded switch when I installed my EMGs years ago and the difference is real. The cheap stock pots could be fried, too.