Gibson Melody Maker Pup Specs?

Bluetic

Does anybody know the specs for the single coil pups that are in the Gibson Melody Maker? I have been looking for an original replacement with no luck. I also can't find the specs to get a comparable replacement. I want to stay as close to original as possible.

Thanks, :D

P.S. It's not the P-90 Les Paul model.

www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitars/Melody%20Maker/Melody%20Maker%20-%20LP/

The original vintage Melody Maker Pups were wound with 8500 turns of 42AWG directly around an Alnico5 bar magnet size M56 (slightly smaller than the P90 sized M55). The bobbins were sized close to a Strat pickup, with a square hole in it to accommodate the magnet. Here is an essay on converting a Melody maker pickup to a P90 with good pictures of an original MM pup (actually from Curtis Novak).

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/Stealth-ES120/

The current MM pups (like in your link) have individual pole piece. There seem to be a bit hard to find info on them. This is probably either steel poles and two magnets in a P90 configuration beneath or magnetic rods like a Strat pup. My guess is the first of the two alternatives. Mostly because it is more “Gibson”. I found out that Curtis Novak actually have a P90-ish mod for a standard MM coil (search and you will find). Really simple and interesting. I would love to try that out.

From the Duncan FAQ pages:

The average length of a Melody Maker pickup is .695” wide X 2.90” long. A Stratocaster pickup cover averages .690” wide X 2.748 long. The Melody Maker pickup has a solid top cover and the nylon bobbin is slotted for an Alnico bar magnet.

They carry a direct replacement pickup:

The original vintage Melody Maker Pups were wound with 8500 turns of 42AWG directly around an Alnico5 bar magnet size M56 (slightly smaller than the P90 sized M55). The bobbins were sized close to a Strat pickup, with a square hole in it to accommodate the magnet. Here is an essay on converting a Melody maker pickup to a P90 with good pictures of an original MM pup (actually from Curtis Novak).

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/Stealth-ES120/

The current MM pups (like in your link) have individual pole piece. There seem to be a bit hard to find info on them. This is probably either steel poles and two magnets in a P90 configuration beneath or magnetic rods like a Strat pup. My guess is the first of the two alternatives. Mostly because it is more “Gibson”. I found out that Curtis Novak actually have a P90-ish mod for a standard MM coil (search and you will find). Really simple and interesting. I would love to try that out.

From the Duncan FAQ pages:

The average length of a Melody Maker pickup is .695” wide X 2.90” long. A Stratocaster pickup cover averages .690” wide X 2.748 long. The Melody Maker pickup has a solid top cover and the nylon bobbin is slotted for an Alnico bar magnet.

They carry a direct replacement pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/cust...ndex.php?page=2