Guitar Of The Month For January

Guitar of the Month for January  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

has to be erik's.... the thing is great. there are a few issues like the neck join not flowing as nice as it could and i think a bit more work is needed on the wooden control knobs. very small details on an incredible guitar!!! We need to get his write up as a permanent feature of the site - its a great tutorial

Black dogs is also great. I say this a lot but i wish my first was that smart. Good to see something relatively simple but so well executed. I love the mahogany and maple look - personally i would have stuck with 2 p-90's

Digi2t - i think i prefered it before the new fretboard. Its a very nice V but for me that fretboard is too much!! I really like the wood choice and colour - the flame fits the v shape perfectly

daniel - great to see an acoustic. I now want one built with black limba. the detail work like the bindings looks very clean and up to your usual high standard. I would have voted for it but eriks just jumps out at me more this time, always the problem with acoustics - - - just aint quite as interesting to look at in this beauty contest :D

Another difficult choice. Erik's 8 string is a demonsration of superior craftsmanship. Digi2t had a nice looking guitar too. But my two personal favorites are Blackdog and Daniels' guitars. That electric looks great, a simple yet elegant build. I also am in love with the limba/cedar acoustic. I have been doing a lot of research into building acoustics lately, and this guitar looks very well made, and beautiful too. Congratulations to all! :D

I think that gigi's fretboard design was not only new, but as well as nicely done. that guitar got my vote. I keep seeing the same things over and over and although there are a lot of flying vs----none of them have a wonderfully detailed fretboard such as gigi's.

erics came in a close second-with an original design as well-planned very well-i loved the theme.

blackdog has a very nice guitar-but its something i've seen already-----very nicely crafted tho

the acoustic is tied in second for me----beautiful design! nuff said!

Erik's --- I absolutely love the wood combinations and Myka style control placement is awesome! The craftsmanship is excellent. It really does look beautiful. Unfortunately, for me, I don't like fanned frets or eight strings, and the combination of both compounds the issue. Not something I can see myself playing, but amazing job nonetheless!

Blackdog's --- Wow! A fantastic job on your first build! Again, I love the wood combinations here. And the inlays add a unique touch of class to the whole design, without being gaudy. Love the truss rod cover! I would love to play this guitar!

Digit's --- Very impressive inlay job! But, I think it is way to much for this build, personally. I'm not digging the headstock either. Love the body!

Daniel's --- ....Man....my thirst for beautiful acoustics can never be satisfied, but this darn well comes close! Superb craftsmanship! The choice of woods is very cool, and it looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm not generally a fan of cutaways, but I can't help but like it in this case, especially with the exceptional use of the rosewood bindings. The Texas inlay is cool too!

Overall, it came down to a very close tie between Blackdog and Daniel. Really had a tough time deciding on this one. In the end, I have to go for Daniel's acoustic. It was very close, but I'm a sucker for nice acoustics.

CMA

I voted for Erik's singlecut. The original design and details like the control knob arrangement made it for me. Superior craftmanship, like Inisheer said.

A close second was Daniel's acoustic. Maybe there's not much eye candy in an acoustic, but the beauty is in the purity of the design and the impeccable execution. After all, "real" guitars are filled with air.

Gigi's fretboard, and neck in general are not my cup of tea. They don't quite belong into that V body. But I may be a little too traditionalist...

Blackdog's build is not bad... Specially for a first build... But something I've seen before. Wait !!! It's sitting right next to me !!! :D

erikbojerik - V8 Eight String - GBO Edition

I’m not a fan of fanned frets but this build really is just a show case of innovation for me. It has everything that’s new in the guitar building world. I absolutely love the knobs on the side and the limba back. Just a gorgeous build from the ground up! It has character and I’d be happy to learn how to play a fanned fret using this guitar.

Blackdog – Clotilde

Your choice of wood was interesting. It’s not every day you see a PRS with a maple board and an oil finish. The inlay was really nice on this one too. I’m also a huge fan of the three P90s. This was a strong build with excellent and sexy PRS linage. My only thing is the headstock. It didn’t have the same linage as the body and looked a bit Aria Pro to me.

digi2t – Gigi

I would need to have better pictures of this one to really make a solid assessment about it. The top looks nice but the glare from the flash made some of the swirl marks show up. You also don’t make mention of the inlay which looks like those you find on EBay. Given the stiff competition I’d have to give my vote to someone who constructed their own neck from the ground up. It looks nice and the color is a good choice given the back wood you chose to use.

Daniel Sorbera - the SA-1

Again with limba! I love this stuff with no end. This looks like a top shelf build and is far better than I could ever hope to get when building an acoustic guitar. Might be why I stay in the electric world.

For me this month the word of choice is innovation. I’ve got to toss my had to the V8 Eight String for all the reasons I listed above. If I had the cash I’d make an offer!

My hats off to the Erik, blackdog, and Daniel. Amazing work. I'm glad I entered the contest and joined this forum. You folks really inspire me. Having seen these amazing instruments (read "works of art") only encourages me more to work harder on my next build(s). Kudos to all, especially Erik. That's a slobberknocker in my book. Hope I get to that level one day. Also, a thank you to all who cared enough to post their constructive critiques on my entry. Nice of you folks to care.

Cheers all