Nut Glue?

IMO a properly fitted nut should not have to be glued in at all. So no glue at all is my feeling, but if you must, use an extremely small dab of yellow glue to keep it from shifting. You don’t want a permanent bond. The strings should be doing most if not all of the work of holding the nut in place.

IMO a properly fitted nut should not have to be glued in at all. So no glue at all is my feeling, but if you must, use an extremely small dab of yellow glue to keep it from shifting. You don’t want a permanent bond. The strings should be doing most if not all of the work of holding the nut in place.

Not being glued in at all may well work for a Fender-style nut, but the Gibson-style end-of-fingerboard nut has nothing to really hold it in place when the strings are off, so I'm gonna have to glue it.

And now I have two conflicting responses. I assume CA glue can be heated or something to make the nut removable... and will yellow glue adhere to the Graphtech material well? I guess I'll have to wait on further advice.

Not sure how you could search for them, but there have been a few different threads on this question and similar questions and for the most part I think the most common answer was one small drop of CA glue or two tiny drops of CA glue. With this small amount of glue you can just give the nut a small blow and knock it loose cleanly, especially compared to using lots of CA or other types of glue like titebond. I've read where some prefer titebond, I think maybe it was Dan Erlewine who suggested if using a glue such as titebond you should dilute it with water and use small amounts to avoid tearing out a bunch of wood upon removal. Personally, the CA route sounds best and easiest. I don't recall the amount of dilution suggested off hand, I have posted it in another thread, you'd have to search for it though. Best of luck. J

Alright, so any old glue works. Two dots of CA sounds good though.

jmrentis, the only problem with searching something like "nut glue" is the board software hates the word "nut" because it lacks a fourth letter...

That really bugs me, too hahaha. Good luck searching for SG, ESP, EMG, LMI, 335, the list goes on.

But not to make this post pointless, use CA glue :D

Yeah, I know thats a prob, bugs the heck out of me as well! I mentioned in my post I had no idea how you could search for these posts, its a real pain because of the amount of letters. Anyhow, best of luck and as I mentioned before just a tiny bit of CA seemed to be the preferred method around here. J

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my little secret that occasionally is of some help. When searching for some three letter words you can simply make the word plural! Obviously many words or abbreviations won't work, but some do. In this case it does work, I just typed in nuts instead and found some of the posts I spoke about before.

Nut thread

Nut thread 2

The ratio I posted is in the first link and was 3 to 1 water to glue. The second thread is when I realized how stupid using anything more than a small drop or two was. Anyhow, I have read a number of other posts where people use CA, but there are still plenty that use glue like titebond, but I would still definitely suggest diluting it as suggested, otherwise you're likely to wreck your neck trying to remove and replace the nut. Best of luck. J

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my little secret that occasionally is of some help. When searching for some three letter words you can simply make the word plural! Obviously many words or abbreviations won't work, but some do. In this case it does work, I just typed in nuts instead and found some of the posts I spoke about before.

There was another method someone talked about of searching in google for what you need, and limiting the search to specifically this forum. I can't remember how he did it, though, I'm not good with boolean or stuff like that.

There was another method someone talked about of searching in google for what you need, and limiting the search to specifically this forum. I can't remember how he did it, though, I'm not good with boolean or stuff like that.

use the "advance search", limit the searchin by using the domain (ONLY return results from the site or domain) and voila.