Name That Thread / Technique / Image

Telesque

I've just torn apart an older guitar of mine for a refinish, inspired by an image I saw here on the forums.

Just one little problem is: I can't find the post!

Someone help a man in need!

The biggest problem in finding the post (I looked around a lot, found many of the same posts I was viewing) is that I don't think the picture I wanted was actually a post topic, but rather a 'how about this?' suggestion in a reply.

The look I want to get involves a bright orange 'oil-in-water' kind of look over black. I really can't describe it much better other than to say that I'm quite sure the body must have been stained orange, and then either ebony stain was added to that, or some crazy stuff with gloss black and sanding was done to it afterwards to bring the orange back up to the surface.

Does anything like this at all ring a bell? Are you the elite finishing mastermind behind the original picture? Are you lonely and need a friend? All responses welcome. Except for lonely people. Lonely people can be scary. :D

not entirely sure if this is what you are trying to describe but have a look here

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=33791

Not quite.

The one I was interested in actually looked a bit like you might imagine smoke being painted in a highly detailed mural, except with orange instead of gray. Thanks though!

not entirely sure if this is what you are trying to describe but have a look here

Not quite.

The one I was interested in actually looked a bit like you might imagine smoke being painted in a highly detailed mural, except with orange instead of gray. Thanks though!

You mean something similar to the Gibson Voodoo series' finish?

2004%20SG_Voodoo_1.jpg

Not quite.

You mean something similar to the Gibson Voodoo series' finish?

2004%20SG_Voodoo_1.jpg

I guess that would be closer, but with the exception that I would want the red parts there to be incredibly vibrant and intense, and a blaze orange color instead of red. It's still not quite exactly what I'm looking for, but getting closer! I know the picture I'm looking for is somewhere on the forums.

sure it wasnt a quilted piece? what shape was it? what kind of wood?

I suppose it could have been quilted. That would have lent to the unique pattern of the bright orange grain showing through. I think that maybe a quilted top, stained bright orange, then painted over with black and sanded heavily in pretty thin, long curved 'strokes' would have the look I'm going for.

Actually, I think it may have been burl.

The second picture isn't the look I'm going for, but that first one is all kinds of sexy. While I don't think that's the image I was thinking of, it's a heck of a good stand-in. I think I was imagining something like that with more black, with the fancy wood grain showing in between, but that right there is absolutely killer.

Tell me more about it!

Hahaha, oh man.

I really can't get over that finish. It is absolutely ****ing epic.