How Many Guitars Have You Built?

westhemann

I haven't built any. I outsource to a company in china that has children build them and pays all employees with fish heads. Although I did change the strings on this guitar once. Does that count? :D

That's a good one.....sign of the times,a lot of new brands on the market.Bless China the new hard to beat ,price wise ,builders. I have built one and ahalf, but it is just a hobby to me.

I haven't built any. I outsource to a company in china that has children build them and pays all employees with fish heads. Although I did change the strings on this guitar once. Does that count? :D

That's a good one.....sign of the times,a lot of new brands on the market.Bless China the new hard to beat ,price wise ,builders. I have built one and ahalf, but it is just a hobby to me.

its just a hobby for me too. but i love it so much and i dont really have a life outside of building guitars. so it is the only thing i really do like 5 days a week at the least.

but i also started when i was almost 16, and i am 18 now. i guess that gave me a lot of time to comprehend the actual idea of building and construction of a guitar.

Edited by killemall8

Really? and I thought I was the only one!

I sent some of mine to China for a LEAD PAINT finish. I expect that return shipping will be more due to increased weight :D

mk

Edited by MiKro

Heh...

I'm a bit of a slow builder, given my time constraints. I think the counter's at 9 fully completed instruments with six currently in various stages of construction (four almost ready for finish, two not quite so far yet), and three others already drawn out and scheduled for construction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've rebuilt necks on 2 guitars, replaced a neck on one bass, wired up probably 15 or 16 old ones and made them sound the way they did in various parts of the 60s and 70s (according to the owners), and i've designed and scrapped hundreds. So I'll count that as 1 lol

Seriously though, I'm building my first one right now :D And its all thanks to this lovely forum and website!

I've got number 3 curing as we speak. Numbers 1 and 2 were done in high school and are getting refinished (I didn't know anything when I started). Number 4 will come along, but it will have to wait until after baby #2 and a graduate degree come (darn those priorities).

• 4 weeks later...

I like this question, and I also like the answers. :D

I have a spreadsheet that I keep updated of what guitars I've made, who owns them, details that made the build special, how much the sold for, and so forth.

My count is up to only 28. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm not killing myself to churn them out. I average about 1 per month. I have 9 more in the queue to make. If I only had more time... didn't need to eat or sleep... I'd be golden. :D

I've completed 2 (both posted on this forum) ... I'm working on another 1 at the moment ... I have another body that I started but set aside because of a design error (I'll eventually come back to it) ... and I have another couple of lumps of wood tucked away under the bench with vague ideas floating around in the recesses of my mind for them.

So I think that's pi - 1.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510 ... but I finished school 30 years ago so I can't be too sure of the math. :D

However ... I haven't built a neck from scratch ... I've modified or finished bought necks. So you might need to subtract a little more from pi. :D

But for those of you who have built many guitars, I'm interested in what you do with them? This is purely a hobby for me, and I have 4 kids, so at the moment I have logical recipients for my guitars. But my kids already had a couple of electrics and a couple of acoustics before I began so my wife is beginning to look at me with those strange eyes every time I tell her I've bought more wood ... or tools ... or pickups ... or paint ... or, or or. I'm sure she's on the verge of cutting off important parts of my anatomy with a rusty razor blade.

So ... where do your guitars and basses go?

B)