How Many Guitars Have You Built?

westhemann

But for those of you who have built many guitars, I'm interested in what you do with them?

Ha ha...don't look in my closets...they are all full of bits,pieces,and complete guitars I can't bear the sight of...

I destroyed one...I hated the workmanship so much...I don't know what I was thinking while I was building those first 3 guitars...stress from a bad marriage?

the duds tend to be used for experimentation or practice with new techniques/tools. the best ones tend to find homes somewhere else sooner or later and occasionally i actively aim to sell one or two. generally sooner or later people will show an interest and if you are lucky some may even want to buy them

that still leaves a few that are somewhere between what i consider 'dud' and what i consider 'sellable'. some have been abandoned to the corner of the workshop but now i am setting up a new workspace so need to sort them out - a few are getting re-worked till they are of a standard i can be happy with. I will probably sell some of as 'used' models at a suitably lower rate

some i purposely dont finish so i wont have to sell them, my two main guitars never seem 'complete'..

However ... I haven't built a neck from scratch ... I've modified or finished bought necks.

Neither do I!!!! More power to ya!!!

But for those of you who have built many guitars, I'm interested in what you do with them?

I have one for the step-kids to bang around on. That way, they leave MINE alone. B)

One is my current favorite.

Two are in gig bags.

One is on a stand.

One (acoustic) is in it's case in the corner.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the two I'm building for me.

We had an idea on what to do with them. Yes, my wife thought of this, so I actually get to do it!!! We're eventually going to get a bumch of nice wall hangers and decorate one wall of the family room with them. She thinks they're too nice to be stuffed in a corner. Plus, SHE gets to show off what I can do when someone comes over. :D She still thinks I'm pretty neat. :D I'm sure it'll pass eventually, but I'm gonna get as much out of it as I can while the gettin's good.

We're eventually going to get a bumch of nice wall hangers and decorate one wall of the family room with them.

SNAP!!

We have a large room with a piano and guitars and stuff where the kids do their music lessons ... and practice :D

There's a few framed pieces along one wall that I'll eventually take down and put in a 'gun rack'. As a non-player with no guitar history, my guitars are tending to be playable functional guitars, but with some quirky design touches. So I can envisage a wall full of interesting looking guitars that will be a decorative feature and talking point ... but hopefully continue to inspire the kids to grab one and play. There's also a couple of amps sitting there ready to go.

Part of that vague plan involves guitars with different set-ups and tunings and stuff ... whatever all that means :D

I'm sure there will come a day when my wifes says, "NO MORE!!!" ... but until that day, I'll keep building, learning (and hopefully) improving.

B)