Choosing A Baritone Scale?

Well a bass is an octave below the guitar, so you can start there.

I just finished an 8-string in which the lowest string is a 0.085 on a 28" scale tuned to E (1 octave below normal 6-string E). It is slightly floppier than I'd like (but perfectly happy at F#), so with that string I'd go to 29" or 30" to beef up the tension.

You're planning what sounds like a Fender Bass VI, or the more recent "Baritone" Jaguar - the former had a 30" scale length, and the latter had a 28.5" scale length. (I prefered the latter - while I don't think Fender still makes them, you might find one in a store you could try out to see how you like it)

Wikipedia has more info including the string guages, and I'm sure more can be found via google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_VI

Yup, it sounds like you're looking for a bass, not a baritone guitar. Baritones are (usually) tuned B to B (B E A D F# :D, and a bass is typically an octave below a standard-tuned guitar. (Very) long-scale baritones and (very) short-scale basses will overlap scale lengths at around 28-29". The three baritone guitars I play are all 27", which seems to be a fairly standard scale length for a baritone (again, tuned B to :D. If you were to tune E to E, an octave below concert-pitch, be prepared for some seriously thick, noodley strings.

Try capo'ing a longer scale instrument like a 35" scale bass at the 3rd fret. The D string is about a gauge 0.070 on a "standard gauge" set, which is what I would call pretty heavy for an F# on a 30" scale instrument. Fret distance will be roughly the same also. Suck it and see.

Try capo'ing a longer scale instrument like a 35" scale bass at the 3rd fret. The D string is about a gauge 0.070 on a "standard gauge" set, which is what I would call pretty heavy for an F# on a 30" scale instrument. Fret distance will be roughly the same also. Suck it and see.

Does this work on 34" also,like if the F# was the nut .Could you just cut at the second fret, does it become a 30 3/8" scale bass???

As near as damnit. Frets are generally spaced an equal fraction of the distance from the previous fret to the bridge point so capo'ing reduces the apparent scale length but maintains fret proportions. Just measure 30" up a 34" scale bass to a fret, capo behind it and viola (heh) you have a reduced scale instrument. Capo at 12th and you have a 17" scale instrument!

IMO, playing on the 0.070" gauge D over 30" is what i'll call the the top end of gauges for a baritone's low F# string.