Hard-to-find Screws

Rick500

Yeah, they're very similar to drywall or deck screws, but the thread is much finer and the shaft is thinner.

I thoroughly scoured Lowes and Home Depot.

Someone on another forum suggested that Ace hardware has a good selection of small fasteners, so I'll give that a shot.

Any hardware retailer can probably get you what you need if you're willing to buy enough of them. A black chrome type finish might be a little harder. I work at a hardware store and I've seen the impressive lists of fasteners that we are able to carry but don't have room for. I got some 4x 1/2" oval-head phillips stainless steel screws (which I couldn't find carried at any other store) from work, but I had to buy a whole box (100ct for $4).

If you want my opinion, I would say that it looks like a heat-treated sheet metal screw, although I doubt they'd put something like that into a guitar. :D

Are you just trying to find the same thing so that the threads match up into the old holes?

Try McMaster-Carr. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't find it there, it doesn't exsist. Here's the link;

http://www.mcmaster.com/

You can shop online. If memory serves me, no minimum quantities. The problem with hardware stores is that generally if you do find something similar, it's Robertson and not Philips heads. I find this very annoying. Makes your axe look like, well, shelving.

As a sidebar, I drove by ONE of their warehouses in Atlanta one time. Close your eyes and imagine this; Take a Lowes, a Home Depot, an Ace, and whatever other Big Box I missed, put them together, and multiply by about 50. OK, now sit down, your nose is starting to bleed.

Cheers

Edited by digi2t

• 2 weeks later...

Try smallparts.com. Its all in the name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...