Dearmond Pickups

avengers63

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the old DeArmond pups that used to come in Harmony guitars in the 60's & 70's? They have a great retro look to them, and seem to still get a good price on eBay, but how do they sound? Are there known problems with them?

OR... when the time comes, would I be just as well off getting some reproductions? The GFS pups have me intrigued, as to the ones in the Airliner guitars.

Any thoughts?

In my knowledge Dearmonds are basically the same if not somewhat better sounding as Gretsch Dynasonic pickups. If you pair it with a bigsby you can get a guitar that sounds about as hawaiian as you can get a guitar to go. If i'm wrong on this I apologize . Someone here is bound to have more knowledge than I do on these pickups.

I have a 1960 Silvertone Jupiter with 2 of the surface mount ones, and I adore the tone! It is extremely "Gretsch like", but I've never been able to afford a Gretsch, so I can't say that absolutely. The guitar is a hollowbody with no f-holes so I'm sure that effects the sound as well. It also has a cool wiring scheme that allow the middle position of the pickup selector to blend between the 2 pickups with a knob.

-Kevin