Fretboard Finishing

It has always been a dream to own an all maple replica of Prince's Cloud Guitar & after some I was able to build one very close to the one played by the most underrated guitarist ever!(Had 2 slide that in there)

After laying down 3-4 coats of paint & 10-15 coats of clear lacquer over the whole guitar including the fretboard now came the time for installing the frets. While hammering the frets in place the paint began to chip badly on just about every fret, causing my project to lose it original gorgeous finsh. Is there any way in the future to install frets without having this happen again? :D

• 3 months later...

I've since put the guitar in the shop 4 a professional fret job & it came back just the way I wanted it. However he had 2 remove all the paint off the fretboard in order 2 do it. I went back to Sherwin-Williams Automotive 4 more paint. I asked how long was the curing process & he couldn't tell nor does the label mention curing.

What is say"Apply 2-3 medium wet coats, plus a drop of coat 2 even out metallics. Allow 5 minutes flash between coats & 15-20 minutes before clearcoating" which I think is 2 soon. How long should I let it sit before applying rub-off decals as inlays & then putting clear lacquer on it? :D THANX IN ADVANCE

15-20 minutes is normal time for automotive paints. They cure very quickly. Here is a link to the S-W Auto site. Pick the clear that you are using and pull up the tech sheet or product data sheet.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/

Now that I look back you said you sprayed 10-15 coats of LACQUER. Everything I have seen that they sell is either a poly or acrylic urethane, which is completely different than lacquer. With auto paints you shouldn't need to go heavier than 6 coats of clear, or you will generally run into the finish cracking (I learned the hard way).

• 1 month later...

Guitar is now finished & can be viewed at www.housequake.com in the Off-Topic Discussion Forum, guest viewing is allowed at the site. I put masking tape over the frets before painting but after spraying Primer, Paint, & Lacquer when it came time 2 peel off the masking tape some of the paint around the edges off the frets came off with the tape. What did I do wrong?

well; not being a fan of the 'cloud guitar' in general (altho prince is good s#!!) it shows you put alot of work into it; you should post pics on this site, cause that other site is a bit of a pain in the arse;

as far as the tape thing; if the paint 'chipped' when you removed the tape youve waited tooo long;

you want the paint to set (like flash off) but still have the rubbery consistantsy so it will come apart easily;

even if it means painting removing the tape and masking off again; quality is a ruthless b*tch!

good jarbe!

grant

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done a finish over a fingerboard (probably b/c I plan to do refrets on all my guitars), but cant you just finish over the metal frets and scrape them off at the end? Just like doing a level, crown, & polish. Then again, I do my LCP's differently and I would be sanding the finish (probly a bunch) while polishing up the frets.

Even though I may not do one for a long time, I would still like to know how it's done :D

carlosnelson: Great Job! That looks really nice! Keep it up! GOTM?

scab: I would reccomend that you mask off. The extra five minutes it takes would be worth it IMO. I finished a maple fretboard and I tried doing it without masking. I think it would have been a lot easier if I had masked. Maybe I left the clear on too long or something but it was alot harder than I thought to cleanly scrape the clear off the frets. It was kindof nervewrecking cause I dont have much experience doing work on frets. Just my 2 cents.

:D