Amber Tint On Neck Waay To Yellow Need Help

dawnofzion

I am in the process of finishing my neck and I have applied two coats of Stewmacs vintage amber and it is REALLY yellow. I bought from stewmacs versus reranch because I thought that ReRanch's looked really yellow but dang.....this is yellow. Is there anyway I can get this neck to match more closely to my strats neck? Any ideas on how to tone down the yellow would be great.

Here it is in comparison to my '62 strat.

neckcolor-1.jpg\

neckcolor-2.jpg

It is WAY more yellow in person that the pictures show.

I'm no expert on color matching vintage instruments but perhaps letting it age for 45 years might darken it up? :D

I actually had the same ultra-yellow shock when I used StewMac's amber on maple. I toned it down by adding brown and touch of red to the mix.

This is the result:

68.jpg

This was approximately 10 drops amber, 8 drops brown, 1 drop red in 16oz of lacquer. Mix some up and try it on some scrap wood until you get what you want.

David

hey mike. I have laid down a coat of clear lacquer over the tint to see if it was going to change the color and it helped a little bit. what do you have in mind to fix it?? I am doing major overtime at work and I do not get off until after 7 every night.

hey mike. I have laid down a coat of clear lacquer over the tint to see if it was going to change the color and it helped a little bit. what do you have in mind to fix it?? I am doing major overtime at work and I do not get off until after 7 every night.

Then we add some tint to the next lacquer coat or sand back whatever you want to do? I have plenty of lacquer and tint so not a problem.

MK

Edited by MiKro

I have 2 new Fender necks here, both made in the same factory, and the color difference between the two is similar to the difference between the necks in the top photo.

I figure the guy who sprays the all maple necks, is a big fan of school buses, and the guy who sprays the 60's style necks is a big fan of pumpkins.