Finishing Padauk?

avengers63

After searching the forum for anything relating to finishing padauk, here's what I learned.

It's gonna darken unless you put marine lacquor on it, which is extremely dangerous to your health. Even then, it's likely to happen sooner or later.

Cool. That's not want I needed to know, though. My question is "Does it need a finish at all?" It's on the fretboard, and currently looks & feels great. I applied a sealer, but I want to avois putting any lacquor on it if it's at all possible.

I don't believe padauk requires a finish. On the Warmoth woods list, it says they don't use a finish on their padauk necks. It does have open pores, however that affects your decision. I used some padauk for a non-guitar project recently, and put a few coats of tru-oil on it, and it turned a lovely dark red. I'd say that the choice is up to you. :D

After searching the forum for anything relating to finishing padauk, here's what I learned.

It's gonna darken unless you put marine lacquor on it, which is extremely dangerous to your health. Even then, it's likely to happen sooner or later.

Cool. That's not want I needed to know, though. My question is "Does it need a finish at all?" It's on the fretboard, and currently looks & feels great. I applied a sealer, but I want to avois putting any lacquor on it if it's at all possible.

If by marine lacquer something with UV inhibitors, yes it will change color as it is exposed to moisture, air, and light.

However you'll find many finishes that have UV inhibitors in them, but much like sunscreen they only inhibit UV fading they don't stop it. If you want to stop it, seal the wood in a dark dry vacum and don't ever look at it or touch it.

To keep the Niegel Tufnel mojo, don't remove the hang tag either.

That not being a practical option many automotive clears have UV inhibitors as do many wood working clears, read the label and do some research and find something you like.

Keep in mind that waterborne finishes still are chemicals and can have health risks as well. You don't want any finish absorbing into your system either through your skin or lungs. I use a lot of auto-air and other waterbornes, and always wear gloves and a spray mask.

I still think you want to work with the safer materials that are more enviormentally friendly, just remember safer doesn't equal safe.

Edited by syxxstring