Looking For Someone To Build Me A Prs Style Guitar

Dr Brine

Welp, been thinking about this guitar for ages, at least 2 years. Just for starters, I do not want a carvin california, I like them, I know they're great guitars, but that is not what I want and I know someone was bound to tell me to get one, so just wanted to get that out of the way. :D:

Alright, the basics of what I want are as follows

Style: PRS Custom 24

Body wood: Mahogany

Top wood: Quilted maple

Neck wood: Mahogany

Fingerboard: ebony with bird inlays, nothing fancy, mother of pearl is good

Neck Carve: Wide Thin

Bridge: set in tune o matic with strings through

Neck Joint: neck through

Finish: "see through" grey/black

I'll discuss price with the induvidual people who contact me, thanks so much, and I hope I can find someone to build be my dream guitar! :D

Why not buy a Custom 24 off eBay and have it refinished?

Compared to what I would charge for a scratch build with those specs, you'd probably break even and it would be a real "PRS" instead of an "erikbojerik".

Long story short...finding a good luthier to make you a copy isn't going to save you any cash. Unless there are some features that you really need/want that you just can't find in an off-the-shelf PRS (which I don't see from your list).

well I really want/need a hardtail and an ebony board and neck through construction. Thanks for the advice, but I'm it really seems like it'd be a lot more money thanks its worth to buy a prs have it re topped refinished all this other stuff and still be left with things I want in the guitar. Thanks for your input though.

you do realise you are posting this on a forum that consists of people of all skill levels. I suggest you let people know where you are based and ask for advice for luthiers in your area instead of asking someone of a forum to build you a guitar

your first post describes something PRS could do quite easily so i think eriks suggestion was good

you need to find a luthier you can trust to do what you want, i suggest you try and find one relatively local

The guys who are giving you advise build very clean guitars, and know what they are talking about. You should seek out the builder based on their work (and local is best). If you want a good quality product for your money, don't have someone who is pretty green practice with your money (it is just too much of a crap shoot). All good intensions aside, there are problems that may be unknown to a beginner that may not appear for a couple years, but will effect longevity of the instrument. A person who has experience and does this for a living will offer you a much more reliable product. It will cost more for a custom than an off the rack PRS, so spend your hard earned dollars wisely. You should keep in mind that brand will directly effect value also. It may be worth seeking out a smaller, but know shop that could improve that value. These shops are out there, so do a little digging.

Remeber a couple pictures of two or three built instruments means next to nothing in terms of a persons knowledge or ability. Try to find that local builder or guitars build by a shop, and play them (you would do that with any large manufacturer, and they are most likely a safer bet in terms of consistency).

Peace,Rich

I know it's not exactly what you want, but you can order a Custom 24 artist package quilt in grey black. As of now, all atrtist package guitars come with an ebony board instead of brazillain rosewood. I personally don't feel there is much difference if any between a through neck and the PRS style neck joint, so really the only thing that would be different is the string-through body. Just something to think about since you will most likely be spending $3000 + no matter who makes the guitar.

well I really want/need a hardtail and an ebony board and neck through construction. Thanks for the advice, but I'm it really seems like it'd be a lot more money thanks its worth to buy a prs have it re topped refinished all this other stuff and still be left with things I want in the guitar. Thanks for your input though.

Sounds like you're describing a Quicksilver. I'm sure old Ed Roman would be happy to build whatever you want. :D

Seriously, why are you poking around in a forum looking for a custom build? You could very easily be separated from a large amount of cash and have nothing to show for it.

Seriously, why are you poking around in a forum looking for a custom build?

Well...a guitar builders forum is not necessarily a BAD place to look for a luthier. Its just that this particular forum has an abundance of people who are just starting out with building (mostly thinking about starting out building...). And probably a lot of them fancy themselves as being ready for taking custom orders... :D

Seriously, why are you poking around in a forum looking for a custom build?

Well...a guitar builders forum is not necessarily a BAD place to look for a luthier. Its just that this particular forum has an abundance of people who are just starting out with building (mostly thinking about starting out building...). And probably a lot of them fancy themselves as being ready for taking custom orders... :D

Exactly, hence the next part of the post:

You could very easily be separated from a large amount of cash and have nothing to show for it.

Used to be around here that the first mention of a blind commission people would bring up the "L" word. Not so much these days? :D

• 1 month later...
Welp, been thinking about this guitar for ages, at least 2 years. Just for starters, I do not want a carvin california, I like them, I know they're great guitars, but that is not what I want and I know someone was bound to tell me to get one, so just wanted to get that out of the way. :D:

Alright, the basics of what I want are as follows

Style: PRS Custom 24

Body wood: Mahogany

Top wood: Quilted maple

Neck wood: Mahogany

Fingerboard: ebony with bird inlays, nothing fancy, mother of pearl is good

Neck Carve: Wide Thin

Bridge: set in tune o matic with strings through

Neck Joint: neck through

Finish: "see through" grey/black

I'll discuss price with the induvidual people who contact me, thanks so much, and I hope I can find someone to build be my dream guitar! :D

Ok, i'll bite.

Style: PRS Custom 24 OK. PRS headstock is trademarked, and cant be replicated

Body wood: Mahogany OK

Top wood: Quilted maple OK

Neck wood: Mahogany OK

Fingerboard: ebony with bird inlays, nothing fancy, mother of pearl is good EBONY IS COOL, BIRDS ARENT (Trademarked), I can do sharks though...

Neck Carve: Wide Thin OK

Bridge: set in tune o matic with strings through OK

Neck Joint: neck through You wont hear any different between a set neck, and a through neck, with this guitar. Well, not enough to justify the price difference anyway. But, its your money, and thats cool with me.

Finish: "see through" grey/black OK

$4100 USA with a case. It can maybe be delivered in August with ten other guitars coming to the USA.

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Still looking for some help on this one. Thanks guys.

Soul Mate Guitars -- Doug is a member here

Myka Guitars -- Another member who does quality work

Keep in mind, most respectable luthiers WILL NOT build a carbon copy of a PRS, but they'll generally do the work that's been commissioned on time and high quality.

Just saw Perry's post and almost forgot about him. He's one of the top three builders I've ever seen on this site and his guitars are well-known among the who's who of guitarists in Australia. Members here have used him on their own commissions before as well.

Edited by crafty

Been a while since I've looked on this forum, much less posted, but let me say that perry's offer is an excellent one. The fact that he's offering to have it done this year is good, considering the backlog that most good builders have had recently, plus $4100US is excellent considering his background and experience. If that's too much for you, then the custom guitar you get for less than that is very likely (although not guaranteed) to be a huge disappointment. Quality custom instruments were never meant to be cheap, luthiers have to eat, just like the rest of us.

[/rant],

russ

• 1 month later...