Les Paul Tenon Depth?

Vinny

Happy New Year to all, Im building a Les Paul and the diagrams (1956 I think, but no neck pic) Im working from do not show the depth of the mortise. The drawing shows a top view and give me the width and length , but not how deep to go down with my router when Im on top of the body. I hope I explained this good enough to show what Im asking here. I not going crazy trying to match any particular year LP, Im looking to make a good solid set neck and need an idea of what others have done. -Thanks Vinny

Happy New Year to all, Im building a Les Paul and the diagrams (1956 I think, but no neck pic) Im working from do not show the depth of the mortise. The drawing shows a top view and give me the width and length , but not how deep to go down with my router when Im on top of the body. I hope I explained this good enough to show what Im asking here. I not going crazy trying to match any particular year LP, Im looking to make a good solid set neck and need an idea of what others have done. -Thanks Vinny

The LP plans from stew mac I have show a 1+11/32" depth route for the tenon.

Personnaly, I prefer a full set-neck instead of the standard LP neck tenon. After doing a few tenons, I realized the full set-neck offers more stability, more tone transfer and is much easier to make and to fit properly. I leave roughly 3/8" (10mm) of wood. My Stewmac plans also shows 1-11/32".

Visually, it sure looks different from a original LP when clearcoated. But if your goal is to build a good and solid set-neck, and not to replicate an exact LP this is a good alternative to the standard LP tenon. Sorry for the bad picture quality, lighting wasn't great and I'm horrible at taking pictures.

Picture062.jpg

Picture067.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture084.jpg