Hard To Find Item Needed...

I just picked up a Yamaha FG 412-SB from a friend. I already repaired, setup and did fretwork on the guitar last year and really liked the way it played and sounded. My friend likes playing his martin more and just put the 12 string into a closet. A couple of the gears on the tuning machines are worn and I'd like to replace both sides. I know its an oddball guitar, only made from 1978-81, but its in pretty good shape. Anyone ever seen 12 string tuners for slotted pegheads in their travels?

Cam%20002.jpg

I haven't quite exhausted all my resources. Right now its a 9-string and I'll play it as is for a little while. The 3 missing strings hook up to the worn tuners. And I will check the local music shops but the odds of them have something like this on their shelf is pretty slim. I'd just like to find some better quality hardware for this guitar.

I'll take some pics later but the wear is not visibly noticeable. When you turn the peg it just binds up, something out of synch there. I gotta admit, I made a real good score. I'm moving soon and no longer work as a painting contractor, got a gov't job and just signed the form for my term extension, good til March 09, can you say YAY!!?? :D Eventually, I'll get my permanent number and thats where I'll spend the rest of my life. Anyway, I traded my 3-way ladder and $150 for the guitar. He initially paid $250 for the guitar w/ hardshell case. I initially paid $100 for my ladder, got a couple years use out of it and then basically got my money back thru the trade. I didn't realize how good a job I did on this instrument. Action is extremely low for a 12-string and it plays like butter. All I can say is... DAMN I'm Good! :D

Action is extremely low for a 12-string.....

*cough*

...nine-string...

*cough*

Hope you get this one sorted. I don't suppose the grubs or gears are consistent with any other similar Yamaha (or other) machine heads? You might find a donor set of tuners which could offer themselves up as spare parts.

Sorry, Captain Obvious to the rescue here....I think that it will be difficult to source the whole specific piece unless they it is in some way standard, which I presume it's not, although the gear/grubs may be....

Edited by Prostheta