URGENT: Online Guitar Stores

G'day fella's,

I am 100% ordering parts that I am going to be using for my custom guitar project.

So far I have been using Musician's Friend and Music 123 to get my part list together.

Musician's Friend seems to be the better of these two for the majority of parts.

My question is this; are there any online dealers that are cheaper than these two online stores?

If you can reply with anything within the next few hours I would be greatly appreciative, if not, I'll just go with Musician's Friend!

I live in Australia, so the ability to deliver overseas is a 'must have'.

Thanks in advance!

:D

Basically I am getting a whole new guitar but getting several parts to upgrade the original guitar.

I was planning on the following:

Epiphone LP Special II

Epiphone LP Hardshell Case

Seymour Duncan SP90-2 (Bridge, Neck)

Tunepro's Tune-O-Matic Tail Piece / Bridge

Dunlop Strap Locks

Gibson Control Knobs

Gotoh Tuners

Although I enjoy Ebay, my parts varied too much to find everything in the one place, plus, it would have been a lot easier to go through one dealer than through 3-4.

Music 123 delivers overseas but did not have the Epiphone LP Special II in Ebony like I wanted.

Just in a bit of a pickel at the moment.

Ahh well I can't anyway, they don't deliver to international countries!

I am trying to get a few things off Ebay, it's a bit nerve racking guessing whether or not you are going to get what you are lead to believe you are... we'll wait and see.

It's just a bit of a pain to have to pay for 3-4 different lots of shipping because you can't deal through one business/person.

Anyways, I'll let you know how I go with Ebay.

Well I managed to find a dealer who is selling the Guitar/Case around the same price as Musicians Friend / Music 123 (only around $10 more expensive), the only problem is he wants to charge me $100 (USD) for the delivery of the guitar, and $40 (USD) for the delivery of the case!

It almost seems pointless when I am losing all my savings on the delivery charges.

Well I managed to find a dealer who is selling the Guitar/Case around the same price as Musicians Friend / Music 123 (only around $10 more expensive), the only problem is he wants to charge me $100 (USD) for the delivery of the guitar, and $40 (USD) for the delivery of the case!

It almost seems pointless when I am losing all my savings on the delivery charges.

I think those are rates for Air or Express Mail?

Weight and dimensions of a guitar is really S&H unfriendly. And then you'll have to prepare for taxes in case customs require them.

Yeah, that's another worry also!

I ordered some parts/hardware from StewMac.com today... lets just say, I went OVERBOARD!

I brought so many tools and cool stuff, that I don't think I have enough to get the guitar now anyways! lol.

Lets hope customs doesn't come down harshly on me, because even 1/3rd of the amount that I spent could cause problems.

Oh man... what a day.

A lot of the stuff I brought I didn't technically need.

Here is the list of stuff I brought:

1 - Dunlop Straplok System Black #0246-B ($13.69, $13.69)

1 - Nut Driver Set of 3 #1989 ($20.95, $20.95)

1 - Dandy Duster Bristle brush #5300 ($15.95, $15.95)

1 - Feeler Gauges #1811 ($20.75, $20.75)

1 - Rock-n-Roller Neck Rest For electric, 2-1/2" height #3732 ($16.95, $16.95)

1 - How to Wire a Gibson Guitar VHS (NTSC), 43 minutes #5601 ($9.95, $9.95)

2 - Dome Knob Black, 1/4" shaft #0157-B ($4.24, $8.48)

2 - Dome Knob Black, 6mm shaft #0169-B ($4.24, $8.48)

1 - Les Paul Toggle Switch Knob Black #0524-B ($1.25, $1.25)

2 - Speed Knob Black #0554-B ($3.12, $6.24)

1 - Bell Knob Black, tone top #1197 ($3.19, $3.19)

1 - Bell Knob Black, volume top #1195 ($3.19, $3.19)

1 - Instrument Stand #5323 ($12.98, $12.98)

1 - Polishing Cloth #1815 ($1.99, $1.99)

1 - Preservation Polish #3006 ($8.50, $8.50)

1 - Fast Fret #1490 ($6.75, $6.75)

4 - Pickup Height Screws Humbucker 1-1/4", black #4386-B ($0.35, $1.40)

1 - Neck Mounting Plate Black, with screws #0131-B ($6.70, $6.70)

1 - Precision Screwdrivers Set of 7 #3319 ($29.97, $29.97)

8 - Humbucker Mounting Ring Screw Black #3359-B ($0.23, $1.84)

2 - Traditional Plastic Humbucker Mounting Ring Black, 1/4" plastic #1507 ($3.80, $7.60)

1 - EMG-HZ H4A Alnico 5 magnet #5921 ($75.00, $75.00)

1 - EMG-HZ H4 ceramic magnet #5920 ($75.00, $75.00)

1 - Gotoh Large Schaller-style Knob Machines Black, 3L/3R #0903-B ($37.97, $37.97)

My original list was 1/3rd of that, but I just got carried away with all the great and convenient stuff that was on offer.

I wasn't able to get the black tune-o-matic bridge and tail piece that I was hoping for, they only had chrome/nickel.

Damn!

I am thinking of selling my other guitar to get some money so I can still afford the new guitar, otherwise I am going to have spare hardware sitting around but no guitar to use it on! lol.

Lets hope customs doesn't give me a hard time, eh.

Ok, here's an update on the situation.

I received two e-mails this morning; 1 from a Stew-Mac representative, and 1 from an Ebay seller.

The e-mail from Stew-Mac informed me that the DSL delivery service usually encounters around 30-75% customs tax upon arrival in the country. Apparently the other service (which is $10 more) encounters less customs tax than the DSL - we'll wait and see.

The e-mail from the Ebay seller was in regards to me trying to retract my bid (where the delivery for the guitar was $140+, which is almost more than the guitar itself). He said that it wasn't him I had to worry about, and in fact that it would be Ebay making a fuss over the auction (as they make no money off the auction). Does anyone know about this? I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I obviously can't produce money I do not have.

I know one thing, in the future I will be buying from in my own country, because this is becoming quite frustrating!

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a huge warehouse with a lot of products locally. If there is one, I'd like to know about it!

Basically, the ones I do know about would like to charge about twice what the product is really worth.

I am trying to cancel the order, I'm still trying to decide whether I want the Epiphone Les Paul Special II or the OLP MM1.

So many decisions to make, lol.

Has the auction ended already? Experienced EBayers usually bid near the end of an auction. If it hasn't ended, there's a good chance you'll lose, anyway.

I almost won an auction for a Hamer guitar in EBay once. I kept sending emails to the seller but he didn't reply, but I liked the guitar so much I bid anyway. Stupid me. And then this seller replied a few hours before the auction ended, informing me the s/h was more expensive than the guitar itself. I couldn't afford it, and I thank God I lost the auction literally seconds before it ended.