Printed Body Design

Yes I have searched and seen the other threads about tranperency film and slides etc. but I am totally lost in it all. So here I have some questions to clear some things up.

1) The stuff you use for overhead projectors; is that the stuff you use if you are leaving the slide on the guitar and clearing over it?

2) I am usin a laser jet is that right?

3) What type of coating to I put over the printed side, if any?

4) I know its printed in reverse so Im assuming that means that it goes printed side down?

5) I am thinking about doing a whole body top like this so will I print out on 4 A4 sheets and then centre them trimming off the excess and mounting them initially with spray mount and clear over it all?

6) Do I use sprey mount to keep them down before mounting them?

Sorry about all the really basic questions I am totally new to all this.

Thanks again.

PS I plan on using something like this graphic

Edited by 68 lost souls

Shadoe Mckee does this a lot at 'beyond custom guitars' these days. You can find them on the bay quite often. I'm not sure exactly how she handles the multiple sheets without seams.

If you haven't already seen this project guitar link, you might find it useful. A lot of the tips would apply to a body as well. I haven't done this myself, so I can't be of much help, but my suggestion would be trial and error with some scraps. I recall Shadoe saying that it took several tests to get the clear-coat to work properly. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I may not be going with it over the complete body now as I have decided to run with a diamand plate cover. There will be graphics under the diamand plate so the seams will be hidden. Plan on cutting some designs into the diamand plate and adding some clear plexi glass over it. Should come out nice. Will be waiting about 7 weeks before I do all this though. Have another project on the go first.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I may not be going with it over the complete body now as I have decided to run with a diamand plate cover. There will be graphics under the diamand plate so the seams will be hidden. Plan on cutting some designs into the diamand plate and adding some clear plexi glass over it. Should come out nice. Will be waiting about 7 weeks before I do all this though. Have another project on the go first.

so, you plan on having a diamond plate top and acrylic on top of that? how do you plan on doing that?

so, you plan on having a diamond plate top and acrylic on top of that? how do you plan on doing that?

No sorry I wasnt very clear. I plan on sort of inlaying the diamond plate with acrilyc.

how do you plan on getting the inlays flush with the diamond plate? you cant sand or anything. i just dont see how your going to do it. inlaying on a non flat surface is not very easy

It may not be easy and I am not sure of the results but I am experimenting. I want to see what I can do. I was given this projecy for free and so I am using it as a time to try new things befpre I mess about with a more expensive project. We will see what the results are like.