What Is Your Favorite Shape Guitar To Play?

killemall8

I have a single cut and a couple of double cuts, but I'm genetically programmed for wierd shapes. Explorers and V's all the way. But I love the Destroyer II's as well. Bought my first Ibanez, a Destroyer II, in '86. Remember seeing it in the window of a guitar shop in Seattle. Something just snapped. I lost it. Never been the same since. Had to sell it to pay off debts in 91, but it really defined what I liked in guitar shapes. That Destroyer was like the mature woman popping the cherry on the young lad. BTW, I'm actively searching for drawings of the Destroyer body, but so far I'm SOL.

Cheers

I usually don't like anything with a big squared-off edge like a Les Paul. I like a semi-acoustic, but I don't like my arm rubbing on the body. I prefer a small body, like a Steinberger or something similar. The problem with small bodies is that they tend to have small necks, which I can't have. I can comfortably play on a classical neck!

I've always loved SGs. Don't know why. Give me an SG in heritage cherry with the big double sided pickguard and I'm in heaven.

Oddly, I hate a teeny little acoustic. My Gretch jumbo cutaway fills up my right arm & presses against nearly my entire torso, and I LOVE IT! I can feel every vibration through the contact.

• 2 weeks later...

Electric: PRS doublecut, Gibson Explorer

Acoustic: Grand Auditorium

Bass: Warrior Signature bass, Warmoth Gecko, Ibanez Soundgear

Just some of my faves...I know, I'm bad at narrowing it down. :D

• 1 month later...
My 7 string V for standing up playing.

My dreadnought acoustic for sitting down.

I have to agree that most acoustics are not made to play standing up although even my strat I have wear a sweatband while playing standing up otherwise my arm is raw or bleeding after 45 minutes.

My favorite shapes are the firebird, schester tempest, and mockingbird but the most comfortable I find is the strat. The les Paul is in second because of the balance. the weight of the les paul doesn't bother me because after I regularly played a acrylic mockingbird, anything seemed far lighter. Those acrylics will break your back!!

• 2 weeks later...

Strat (without the blasted volume control right under the bridge pickup!). Perhaps the only guitar ever designed that was prototyped with working musicians and tweaked until the shape was just right for the player. Now if Leo could have only gotten the volume control positioning right!

i have since been going to a local muic store and have been trying every guitar i can get a hold of. which is hundreds in the store. and i am still set on an explorer and v. i think i do like the v (jackson pointy style, not gibson style) more than the les paul. but the les paul comes in third.

PRS Doublecut. A good mix of a les paul and a Strat.

Super Strats

Strats

Cant stand how the Telecaster looks. Nor the explorer

Havent held a flying V but they dont really appeal to me.

I like horns. Les pauls dont really appeal to me but I do want to build one. And I hate the SG.

Edited by Malakai