A Dozen Dounts $10.95

Vinny

I havent purchased wood in a while as Ive got a good supply to last me. There was another post on where a PGer asked where to buy wood, I believe it was mahogany. Heres what I've done to assure I have a good steady pile on hand.

Befriend your local (or not so local, drive if you must) Cabinet Making Shop. Look in the phone book under Millwork, Custom Cabinets etc. Avoid the showroom, go to the workshop where the sawdust is flying, wear construction boots, jeans and a plain shirt. no fancy clothes, after all your just a regular working stiff like the rest of us. Ask for the boss or shop manager, smile and introduce yourself and tell him/her you're an amature guitar builder and wanted to know if there were any small wood pieces or offcuts that would get tossed out that maybe you could have. You'd be surprised by the response you'll get and will probably walk out the door with some nice wood. Thank him/her for being so generous.

Come back a day or two later in the morning with a dozen donuts, bagels and cream cheese or coffee cakes for the crew as a thank you. Dont expect to get anything today, you're just showing your appreciation. You'll probably be invited to come back again soon for more wood.

After stopping in a few times the crew will get to know you and you'll be warmly greeted, and you'll bring donuts/bagels and by now have a nice selection of wood at your shop to build with.

I went to see my friends this morning and joked with a guy in the shop as I was picking through their 'firewood' pile. He asked me what I could use. I said Mahogany, Cherry and Walnut. He said how about Maple? I said sure and he pulled out a huge 2x10x30 billet of beautiful clear rock maple from under the bench. Good for maybe 5 necks or 20 fingerboards at least. I also picked up 3 boards of walnut, a nice slab of cherry which he ran through the planer without me asking, cause he thought it was nicer than it looked, and he was right. And a 1x8x24 of beautiful cedar that is sooo nice for an acoustic top. It is clear to them that Im a hobby builder and not turning any profit on what is given to me, I truly appreciate what they donate to my shop and I believe my sincerety comes across when I thank them.

-Vinny

I havent purchased wood in a while as Ive got a good supply to last me. There was another post on where a PGer asked where to buy wood, I believe it was mahogany. Heres what I've done to assure I have a good steady pile on hand.

Befriend your local (or not so local, drive if you must) Cabinet Making Shop. Look in the phone book under Millwork, Custom Cabinets etc. Avoid the showroom, go to the workshop where the sawdust is flying, wear construction boots, jeans and a plain shirt. no fancy clothes, after all your just a regular working stiff like the rest of us. Ask for the boss or shop manager, smile and introduce yourself and tell him/her you're an amature guitar builder and wanted to know if there were any small wood pieces or offcuts that would get tossed out that maybe you could have. You'd be surprised by the resonse you'll get and will probably walk out the door with some nice wood. Thank him/her for being so generous.

Come back a day or two later in the morning with a dozen donuts, bagels and cream cheese or coffee cakes for the crew as a thank you. Dont expect to get anything today, you're just showing your appreciation. You'll probably be invited to come back again soon for more wood.

After stopping in a few times the crew will get to know you and you'll be warmly greeted, and you'll bring donuts/bagels and by now have a nice selection of wood at your shop to build with.

I went to see my friends this morning and joked with a guy in the shop as I was picking through their 'firewood' pile. He asked me what I could use. I said Mahogany, Cherry and Walnut. He said how about Maple? I said sure and he pulled out a huge 2x10x30 billet of beautiful clear rock maple from under the bench. Good for maybe 5 necks or 20 fingerboards at least. I also picked up 3 boards of walnut, a nice slab of cherry which he ran through the planer without me asking, cause he thought it was nicer than it looked, and he was right. And a 1x8x24 of beautiful cedar that is sooo nice for an acoustic top. It is clear to them that Im a hobby builder and not turning any profit on what is given to me, I truly appreciate what they donate to my shop and I believe my sincerety comes across when I thank them.

-Vinny

Sounds very cool Vinny. Good for you, and great for them (sounds like you take pretty good care of them :D ).

Peace,Rich

>snip<

-Vinny

AHHHHHHHHHH!!! The old Ki$$ A$$ theory. It still works doesn't it? Good tip Vinny!!!!!! You'd be surprised what people will do when someone shows some kindness, even if it has undertones for something misguided. :D :D LMAO!!!!

Take care Vinny,

Sincerely,

Mike

Yep, that's how I adopt stray cats. After a while they forget that they only came around for the kibble. Stupid cats. Betcha it works on dogs too. Dogs are even more stupid. Hmm...and people, they're the stupidest of 'em all.

Isn't that how Carter made his way to the White House?

Cheers

Yeah, and he worked for peanuts B) -Vinny

OMG!!! :D

It's not very often that y'all can get me to LOL here in my office, but that did it! Funny stuff. :D

Avengers63, glad we brightened up your day dude. B) Vinny, kick a$$ comeback... I am not worthy, I am not worthy... :D

Cheers all