Anybody Wanna Do A 'Carriburst' Competition?

Drak

so about the picture posting rules, is there going to be a required # of pics for each stage? and what about we post pics of the guitar and such for teasers, but we save all the painting and staining, and finishing pics for the contest ??

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

...I also expect to see 'Mr. Litchfield' show up 'round here at some point also!

I'm here. I think ANY wood is game...I'm thinkin lacewood. Or maybe, just maybe, flamed cherry. I guess I kinda started this so naturally I'm gonna kinda win. :D

Also from now on, I shall be known as Jeff.

i had a differnt scheme in mind for my SG, but i really think that looks cool. one question, though. let's say it's the ocean at sunset, so it's still got the slight blue/green to it, but the orange/red of the sky in the center instead of the green/yellow.

i really think that would look classy. :D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I say do it....tho not the judge. Man, all I can say is that this better be a short year. And why not try to meet in person, and have a BBQ or something when its all said & done...you know, play each other's pieces, meet face to face. That'd be nice.

I say do it....tho not the judge. Man, all I can say is that this better be a short year. And why not try to meet in person, and have a BBQ or something when its all said & done...you know, play each other's pieces, meet face to face. That'd be nice.

yeah right...we will all fly infrom our seperate states and countries to eat bbq and spend the money we need for building guitars.... B)

you go right ahead.and did you say "play each other's pieces"? :D

Okay, since I'm kind of a starter, I'll be doing an "ocean after oil tanker crash" finish...which is blackburst on black.

Okay now, that was neither politically correct, nor was it of any use, nor was I intending to join the competition, but I'd have one request to make: I would like to see monthly or at least quarterly pictures of your progresses, if that's not asking too much.

Go for it guys

so long

ace

This all reminds me of the book Blue Guitar. Collector Scott Chinery commissioned a 22 of the finest archtop builders builders. The only rules were it had to be an 18 inch acoustic archtop, and it had to be blue. Several hundred thousand dollars later, he had the ultimate collection of blue archtops.

Maybe we should make a book or a calendar after they're all done?

-Sven

I'm starting my 'hunting/gathering' hunt for the perfect 'Carri-top'! (quilted Maple, natch)

As far as pics and whatnots, I plan to keep a pretty complete file with notes of stain mixtures and processes used and pics, but I ain't postin' NOTHIN', I'm playin' to win this one! :D

And I think it would be a really cool surprise to see all of them slam-posted in January all at once with never seeing any 'hints' throughout the year, I think it would ruin the big-slam surprise in January if we all knew what they already looked like anyway...

I think in January after it's all over, we can all post our specific recipies how we got where we did.

I was thinking when Brian gets back (before the official starting date of Jan.1?) ...he could maybe add some sort of form and function to the whole thing, sort of give the whole thing some shape and definition...you know what I mean...oversee the general ops like the 'guitar of the month' is done...hope so anyway...

I'm loading for bear! ..err, I mean Carri-berries!

i got the impression it was going to be a poll type thing?

judging panels are cool except the whole forum doesn't get to participate.

p.s.

if it is a judging panel, can I be a judge? :D

Poll sounds best to me...I'd join if I had any skill in it...do we have to absolutely submit our design by the first? I might have a chance at entering this if I could do it all next year.

Hmmm, I didn't really intend it to be as 'formal' as submitting a plan (or did I? :D )

I just wanted a formal head-count list as to who was 'in' on the 1st. The people on that list are the ones in the competition, that's it. As long as you 'signed in at the door', and have a completely finished, intonated, and totally playable Carriburst guitar to present a year from now, and you built it during this coming year, ...the rest is of little consequence...pretty free-form and free-wheeling, hopefully pretty fun.

You guys can figure out the rest, I'm building the hot-snottiest Carriburst I can, I'm gonna take all you suckuhs DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! B)

Come Jan.1, mine will be under way, that much I do know! I've already got the design I'm using, and some of the wood, and a neck, my preparation will, in the interim, be concentrated on stain-mixing and color blending, that's where I really want to 'Go Postal' on it. Freaky even...

And I'm still hoping Brian can, at some point, add what little structure is needed to keep it on track.

The only reason I even thought of that was to prevent someone from entering one that they had already made somewhere else sometime else beforehand...for an example, I know the Carriburst has been a popular subject over at ReRanch for awhile now, I remember reading posts about it over there as long as 2 years ago...so I know there's gotta be a few of them floating around already :D

Actually, I hope some of the Reranchers join in this thang, the more the merrier.

Heh...I guess I'm in, but not too sure it's actually gonna turn out good enough to post pics...lol.

don't worry i'm in the same boat, i'll be spending the whole year basicly learning how to actually pull this finish off on lots of scrap wood :D