Hopefully Not Too Dumb Question About Pickup Winding

Hey

Okay, I've read a bit about pickup winding, and they're always really clear about how the process begins...

pickupwinding.png

You start with winding the wire through an eyelet on the bottom, and you start winding the pickup on the bottom. That makes a lot of sense.

But what happens when you get to the end? I imagine something like this..

pickupwinding2.png

The wire has reached the top and now has to connect back to the bottom eyelet.

But what about that bit of wire on the right there? If it was tight, wouldn't it be very likely to break? If it was loose, wouldn't there be some unraveling of the coils?

Is there some standard solution to this?

You go between to and bottom many times before you get enough turns on, so you can always arrange to stop at the bottom, not that it matters so much when the coil form is pretty much full.

Okay, I've read a bit about pickup winding, and they're always really clear about how the process begins...

pickupwinding.png

You start with winding the wire through an eyelet on the bottom, and you start winding the pickup on the bottom. That makes a lot of sense.

But what happens when you get to the end? I imagine something like this..

pickupwinding2.png

The wire has reached the top and now has to connect back to the bottom eyelet.

But what about that bit of wire on the right there? If it was tight, wouldn't it be very likely to break? If it was loose, wouldn't there be some unraveling of the coils?

Is there some standard solution to this?

Oh, yeah, there will. Think thousands. You will will have something between 7500 and 8000 turns for a pretty standard strat pickup.

And when youre done you can protect the coil with a bit of cloth tape all around the windings. And most winders "pot" the pickup in hot wax to stop it from being microphonic.

A pickup is microphonic when its coils are loose enough that they vibrate when the guitar's body vibrates. This means that the pickup, like a microphone too close to a speaker, can feedback and squeal. In even more extreme cases, the pickup can even detect your voice, thought that is quite rare.

Edited by Setain