Wiring a killswitch with emgs

BLS

I was wondering how i would wire a killswitch with active pickups like a 81 and a 85??? heres the diagram im gonna use: http://emgpickups.com/pdf/2%20EMG%201v%201...ay%20inline.pdf but i have no idea how to install a killswitch. Ive done it before with passive electronics but this has just gotten me confused. Any help would be appreiciated

I think he is refering to the tip and ring, or in othe words the two connectors on the output jack... I think its the wire that is not going to ground. BTW, on of my professors (who plays guitar) kept on calling it an input jack. After a needlessly long argument, i can't understand why. Is it input or output?

-Vadim

For the circuit diagram that you supplied above, connect the kill switch between the two "prongs" of the output jack that are NOT the one that goes to the battery. When the switch is "ON" it will short the output and mute the signal. That is the correct way that will not give you hum when the signal is "killed".

i think the kill switch will be used to mute the guitar when not in use, tho i use the volume knob. also Tom Morrello uses a kill switch to create funny noises, rapidly killed and on creates a juttering effect.

i believe that this would be very simple to do. take the signal wire that you are going to connect to the output of your volume pot, and before you connect to the pot use a single pole toggle (SPDT) switch like in the diagram below.

ill mail you the image!

mike

The question about what the kill switch is supposed to do is important here. If it is intended to disconnect (not mute), then you need to disconnect the path from the cable. If it is to mute, then you need to simulate a 0 volume which is different from a disconnected cable. I think someone mentioned the kill working without the "hum" which would be the case where you wanted a mute. If you wanted a true "kill" (meaning completely shut off / disconnect), then you may need to look into disconnecting the battery and/or output cable connections. With EMG's it's probably not enough to just kil the battery connection in this case - you would still need to disconnect the output cable.

Wow, I don't know if that cleared things up or made things more confusing. The main point is to be sure what the kill switch is intended to do.

Well i dont want a hum. I dont really care if its still sucking up battery life when the killswitch is on. I just want it so that theres no hum.

Then just do as I wrote in my post above. And it won't drain the battery... well maybe a bit if you play chords for hours on end with the kill switch always "ON"... or should I say "OFF" :D ... well while it's muted, anyway. B)