Sanding Gloss Paint?

sjaguar13

If you have a metallic or kandy color, a clear would give it more depth and shine. Lots of automotive 'solids' like white black and red have no clear...just buffed out.

'Color sanding' is done to remove surface imperfections...especially 'orange peel'. It smooths the paint to glass just before buffing. I usually do the 1200,1500 and 2000 grit (wet sanding) before I hit it with the buffer. Make sure your paint is thick enough or it will cut through...especially edges.

With lacquer, I don't sand between coats as I shoot the next coat as soon as it flash dries. Since you have let the red dry a few days, you'll need to scuff as Southpa sez. Use a Scotchbrite pad or a 800 grit to evenly dull the red. Tack rag the dust off and don't touch the body with your hands, use gloves to handle and spray your clear. Spray several light coats, let each coat dry about 5 minutes than shoot the next. The final coat can be a little heavier and wet for max gloss...be careful, you don't wanna run it. Let it dry a few days.

Yeah, I shoot automotive products, acrylic lacquer is my choice for kandies for the fast build and fast dry. I usually clear with auto poly which I wait 1/2 hour after my last coat of lacquer. I don't have time to watch paint dry...or grass grow. :D I shot nitro for the first time on a neck...looked good over the amber toner. I'm gonna spray some nitro on a poly Tele and relic the finish next.