Man Am I Gonna Get Some Hate Mail For This But

here goes.I was looking at stew macs fretboard calculator to help me find out where to drill my mounting screw studs.and for a 25 scale 22 fret guitar it says for a combo bridge/tailpeice the measurement from the nut to the center of mounting studs is 25.061,Likewise for a strat stye bridge its 24.755.I need help converting the decimal part of the measurements.Ive looked online for a decimal to fraction calculator and couldnt figure it out.What i would like is the measurements in plain old fractions(25.1/16?).Yes im a idiot but u could still help a brother out.

here goes.I was looking at stew macs fretboard calculator to help me find out where to drill my mounting screw studs.and for a 25 scale 22 fret guitar it says for a combo bridge/tailpeice the measurement from the nut to the center of mounting studs is 25.061,Likewise for a strat stye bridge its 24.755.I need help converting the decimal part of the measurements.Ive looked online for a decimal to fraction calculator and couldnt figure it out.What i would like is the measurements in plain old fractions(25.1/16?).Yes im a idiot but u could still help a brother out.

25.0625 is 25 1/16

24.750 is 24 3/4

Those are the closest fractions I found, and should be close enough.

Hate mail, Hate mail, Hate mail, Hate mail, Hate mail, Hate mail, Does this make it official.

Bookmark this site http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm It has been around for at least two years. There is also probably a few others on the web, makes it faster than asking someone in a post. I use it all the time.

Bookmark this site http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm It has been around for at least two years. There is also probably a few others on the web, makes it faster than asking someone in a post. I use it all the time.

You can actually just google many simple equations.

Type '1/16 inches in inches' into a google search field, and it'll convert to decimal for you. Same goes for things like '178mm in in' or '7mph in kph'.

What I find to be quite useful is Firefox's Google search toolbar add-on, as it will calculate/pre-fetch as you type, so that you never have to leave the page you're viewing (it will display your resulting answer in a small drop box). Not sure if IE's google search add-on has the same functionality or not.

Somehow years ago I acquired one of those cardboard decimal to fraction charts. For the longest time I hung on to it, brushed aside on a shelf collecting dust... One day I wanted to make a conversion (who knows why anymore) so I blew the dust off and realized what a gem I had. Now I keep it posted to the wall.

Fortunately for you and the rest of us, bridges have adjustments. So, 'real close' is good enough.

Now all I need is one that converts mm to the nearest whole fraction.

-Doug

Here's how you do it without a table.

You probably want it in fractions because you have a ruler with fractions. Your ruler measures in something like 16ths, 32ths, 64ths, etc.

Multiply the decimal by that number, then round.

So, you had 25.061.

0.061* 16 = 0.976, round up to 1. So, the decimal is 1/16.

In that case, 0.061 * 64 = 3.904, round to 4, and 4/64 = 1/16, so you get no more accuracy measuring to 64ths.

For the other number, 0.755*16 = 12.08, round down to 12. 12/16 = 3/4. Once again, in this particular case, you get no more accuracy measuring to 64ths.

Edited by Hey

Hey Brother Luther, Consider having your fretboard/neck on hand when you lay out your drill holes. I find it too easy to make a mistake, but when the pieces are laid out in front of you to move around and measure, things come out better. Good luck -Vinny