4+2 Guitar Tuners?

Some people will tell you not to, claiming that the gears where not meant to run that way. If these people actually have any proof or expertise on the subject is up to you to decide.

I've done it with an entire set without much problem (made an error when planning out the headstock and was forced to).

Guitarfetish sells 4+2 gotoh style sets btw.

That`s cool, but i bought at Stewmac Schaller M6 locking tuners, and i wanted them in the first place(Tk has only Hipshot and Sperzel - not that they are bad), and Tkinstruments only accepts Paypal payment, and i`m from Serbia, and we don`t have paypal! :D

Thanks anyway!

Ps Does anybody know where can i purchase Schaller individual tuners?

:D

Edited by Mitjovan

I found (at my local parts dealer) Framus tuners, that sells individually, but i don`t know anything about their quality! I know that Framus guitars are really good guitars, but i did not see that they sell their tuners apart from their instruments, so they can be some leftovers or something... I don`t know... :D

Some people will tell you not to, claiming that the gears where not meant to run that way. If these people actually have any proof or expertise on the subject is up to you to decide.

I've done it with an entire set without much problem (made an error when planning out the headstock and was forced to).

if you use a good quality set of tuners for this you might just get away with it but cheaper ones have too much play between the post and the gear - this means that the string actually pulls the two together when installed the correct way... but unfortunately pulls them apart when installed the wrong way. This leads to the gears slipping or just wearing away quicker. I dont know about gears having to run certain ways or anything like that but i do know they work a hell of a lot better when they fit together nicely

the quick way to test your tuners is to see how much wiggle there is in the post, really good tuners have none.

Other than that the suggestions to buy individual tuners from stew mac or a set of sperzels (because they are reversible) are how i would solve the problem

This is a post from a very nice bloke called floyd over at the Patrick Eggle forum:

This may be of help or interest to those people that didn’t know that you could change a left handed Sperzel to a right handed or vice-versa. You would therefore be able to change a set of six in line to a set of three a side or vice-versa if needed, or to change the hand of an individual spare to replace a broken one. It is very easy, all you have to do is: - remove the screw located at the end of the tuning key, pull the key off, followed by the small black washer, and then the bell shaped sleeve. Push the centre spindle out, making sure that the locking wheel is loosened so that the gears can move easily inside the main body, a little wiggling and turning may be required to release the spindle. Insert the spindle into the opposite side of the main body, (again you may need to wiggle it about a bit to get it seated hard up against the main body), and assemble the other parts on to the spindle, all that’s left is to adjust the tension of the screw to adjust the tension of the tuning key, job done.

floyd

Edited by ToneMonkey