Lime wood

Alright peeps?

I'm off to get the wood next week B) but before I do can someone tell me what Lime is like to work with and what it sounds like? Is it heavy? or is it just crap (which explains why I've not heard of anyone using it)? Just found it in the catalogue and I'm curious.

I'm after a nice warm sounding wood that will take a dark blue stain well. Any ideas?

Also, if I stain a sheet of 2mm vaneer from both sides. Will the colour pass all the way through the wood so that no matter where I cut it or sand to, the wood will always be blue all the way through? :D

Cheers guys, hopefully soon I'll be able to put something back into the forum instead of just asking questions.

:D

never heard of lime wood, wouldn't go with it without doing some sort of research unless you were not looking for a specific sound

Also, if I stain a sheet of 2mm vaneer from both sides. Will the colour pass all the way through the wood so that no matter where I cut it or sand to, the wood will always be blue all the way through?

that's a cool idea!!! but i have no idea, ask in the finishing section

cheers derek.

I was just curious about the wood. I've heard of Lime wood (presumably it's where the little green citrus friut comes from) and my old man said that it's not too difficult to work with (he thinks). Found it in with the body blanks and it's quite cheap (wasn't there a beetle going around killing all the lime trees a few years back? - which explains why it's cheap).

Alright peeps?

I'm off to get the wood next week  :D  but before I do can someone tell me what Lime is like to work with and what it sounds like? Is it heavy? or is it just crap (which explains why I've not heard of anyone using it)?  Just found it in the catalogue and I'm curious.

Lime is a common wood for beginners at carving. I've not ever heard of it being used for guitars. I'd opt for a more tried and tested timber for your first attempt.

I'm after a nice warm sounding wood that will take a dark blue stain well.  Any ideas?

Stains are always tricky if you plan to apply directly to the raw wood. The problem is end grain soaks up far more stain, and ends up darker than the rest of the wood - this is particularly awkward since most guitar body shapes reveal a lot of both end grain and sidegrain. I'd recommend sealing the wood first and applying tinted laquer to get the colour. As for warm, mahoganay is the standard reference for warm, round tone.

Also, if I stain a sheet of 2mm vaneer from both sides. Will the colour pass all the way through the wood so that no matter where I cut it or sand to, the wood will always be blue all the way through? 

In a word, no. The only way you can entirely penetrate a piece of wood (even a thin peice) is to pressure cook it in dye, which is not a practical solution for the amateur builder. B)

In a word, no. The only way you can entirely penetrate a piece of wood (even a thin peice) is to pressure cook it in dye, which is not a practical solution for the amateur builder. :D

ARSE. Gonna have to use a little paint brush then. B)

Cheers anyeay Setch