Lap Steel Guitars

rto

Hey, i was looking at building a Lap Steel as my first project after seeing the tutorial on the projectguitar site and was just curious if anyone here built one before and if they could post pics. I searched the forum but didn't find any threads about them, so i guess just post pics if you got em..

I built one and it was a very easy but very satisfying project. I'll see if I can find the thread for you. I'm surprise "lap steel" didn't turn one up in the search! Stupid broken search...

Actually, it seems literally broken right now! :/ I can't seem able to perform any sort of search whatsoever.

Anyhow, here's a pic of the finished product... the weird extra metal near the bridge is an Epiphone EZ-Bender... and neither of those tone bars are in usage right now since an actual bullet bar or shubb bar works better than a "guitar steel" which is more suited to Dobro playing.

lapsteellarge.jpg

Is there any cash to me made off of doing these? Seriously how long can it really take to pop one out. Although yours really look cool! I really like that last one!

The lap steel market is not huge, though does seem to be gaining ground.

While its certainly possible to "pop" one out, the level of detail will suffer and your competition falls to the cheap import market segment.

For profitability, you are still better off building traditional guitars though.