How Would I Do This?

strafer

I saw this finish on the Dan Jacobs ESP signature guitar, and while i don't exactly like dan jacobs or atreyu particularly, i thought this finish was pretty cool. Now that I'm planning a guitar, I've decided to see if i can do this finish myself, but I just don't know how. Help? I linked a pic of the guitar below, cause i forgot how to put photos straight into the box... :D

http://www.espguitars.com/images/gallery/ex_jacobs.jpg

This would definitely take some experimenting on scrap first, but I do see a few things of notice:

If I had to take a shot at that, I would probably use a small sponge cut into a 3-4" rounded shape, or you could cut it into whatever shape you wanted.

You wouldn't want to do this with any finish that melts into itself, because once the white is down, you couldn't actually 'touch' it with the sponge dipped in the same finish, so I think you would have to use a crosslinker finish, let the white dry, and then your 'dipping' process across the top, letting it run down as much as you feel necessary.

Also, I would do the white underbelly, then do a few clear coats, then the red, so if you wound up not liking the red you did, you would at least have a chance of sanding just the red back off, maintaining the white untouched.

If you did your red directly over the white and you don't like the way the red comes out, you're screwed.

I have done sunbursts like that, where I was happy with the basecoat, but didn't like the sunburst, and since I had applied several coats of clear between them, I was able to just remove the burst and start over again without having to strip the whole thing back.

Also....when doing the red, I would make it very runny and thin so that you don't have a high 'drip edge' on all your red lines, that is if you intend to have the whole thing smooth and glossy at the end.

For the 'splatter' marks, I would probably start with a paintbrush dipped in the red and 'flick' the paint at the body a few times.

This definitely and absolutely calls for lots of practice on scrap first! :D

If you do it, please post here and let us know what worked and what didn't.

Looking closer, it does look like there are 2 colors on there, an underlying pink, then red on top of the pink.

Or something...

I think you're right!

BTW: I remember reading an interview with Jacobs and he said this sig model was "inspired" by a photo he saw when he was young of Nikki Sixx weilding a (I think it was BC Rich) bass dripping with blood, looked like he'd just murdered someone with it!

Wait, yeah it was a Rich, see:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Artic...-blood_Full.jpg

Ahhhh, the '80s......sigh. :D

I saw this finish on the Dan Jacobs ESP signature guitar, and while i don't exactly like dan jacobs or atreyu particularly, i thought this finish was pretty cool. Now that I'm planning a guitar, I've decided to see if i can do this finish myself, but I just don't know how. Help? I linked a pic of the guitar below, cause i forgot how to put photos straight into the box... :D

This would be a great question for Rhoads23. Rhoads : Are you listening?

This would be a great question for Rhoads23. Rhoads : Are you listening?

no, but rhoads56 might be. (perry)

Spray the base color, and let it dry. Then mix your red a bit thinner than you would spray it. Pour it on and let it go. Get creative, you can use an air hose to blow it around if you want. I'm still waiting on temp conditions to finish this one......

100_1479.jpg

I hung it at "playing position" and let it have it. :D I sealed it with an inter coat clear and will level sand it as best as I can before the Clear goes on it.

Edited by rooster