Need Opinions/guidance On A Non-traditional Fb Replacement

eljib

So, it might be a dumb question, but I need to know if I can remove the bullet truss rod adjuster off the end of the rod so I can refinish the headstock. I figure the answer will be to go for it, but I can't find any info with the search feature (and I spend several hours a day reading up on stuff here). This is not a fender bullet neck, but it was definitely made with theirs in mind, so I think that what holds true for fenders would hold true for mine.

In a separate but related item, I would like to change the fretboard from maple to either rosewood or ebony (or anything darker than maple that I can oil). However, this neck has the frets pressed right into the neck, with no separate fretboard, and it is far too thin (contour-wise) for me to play comfortably. I have decided to remove the frets and then laminate a >1/8" fretboard to the top of the neck (possibly without having to radius) by vacuum bagging the new board so that it conforms to the current radius. So the question becomes "what woods are suitable to this type of procedure, and where can I find a piece long enough to pull it off?"

(In anticipation of responses urging me to level sand and put on a new, full-thickness fretboard: I would have chosen to do this but the neck is so thin that I'm afraid the outside edges of the fretboard dip below the truss rod, thereby making it impossible to get a flat surface across the face of the board. Also, I just want to do it this way. If it doesn't work then I'll have to go back and do it the other way, or take the neck apart and salvage the truss rod for another project...But if it DOES work, then I could possibly add a new solution/tutorial to the site)

Thank for your interest and expert advice :D

In a separate but related item, I would like to change the fretboard from maple to either rosewood or ebony (or anything darker than maple that I can oil). However, this neck has the frets pressed right into the neck, with no separate fretboard, and it is far too thin (contour-wise) for me to play comfortably. I have decided to remove the frets and then laminate a >1/8" fretboard to the top of the neck (possibly without having to radius) by vacuum bagging the new board so that it conforms to the current radius

Also, I just want to do it this way. If it doesn't work then I'll have to go back and do it the other way, or take the neck apart and salvage the truss rod for another project...But if it DOES work, then I could possibly add a new solution/tutorial to the site)

seems like too much trouble for me. and I don`t think it will work.

there`s no need to screw up a whole neck and then salvage the truss rod.

I would suggest that you make a new neck. and leave that one as it is.