Using A Spray Gun

murray*

Hey there, I'm new to this forum (and guitar building). I recently bought a handheld electric airless spray gun. I've just just had my first attempt at using it and have managed to put way too much paint on the guitar, drips everywhere ( and also managed to repaint the house door that was about a metre away ha). I used a .6 nozzle and oil based paint. I thinned the paint down about twenty percent. I realise I may have thinned it too much and maybe got too close ( about a foot). I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice to using one of these or could point me to a site. Is there a way I can use this and get better results? Thanks

If you use the search function you'll find a few topics on this. The general consensus seems to be that the airless sprayers, spray too heavy and not evenly enough to be effective for guitars. What paint did you use exactly? I am not positive, but with an oil based paint you are probably going to have a difficult time finding a clear coat that is going to adhere well.

Thanks for the reply, I think your right about the spray gun, it's been four days and the paint drips are still wet.... I think I'll have to take it back to wood and start again. The paint was a premium quality ultra gloss (oil based). I think I may have been better off using cans (though they're all oil based as well). I think the major problem was my technique (lack of it) and the fact that the gun seemed to throw out way too much paint. Certainly got a mess at the moment but I suppose it's a learning curve. Next time I'll test drive a new tool before rushing into it

All the best

The most useful tool I have found is the search function on this forum. Sometimes you have to reword things a few times to find exactly what you want and you have to read through a lot of posts. But generally if you want to do something or try something new, there is a good chance someone has done it already, and you can learn from there trials.

Best of Luck.