Looking For Idea Here On Bass Rig Setup

gonzosc1

my problem is that my band uses 3-4 different tunings. so I have to lug around 3-4 basses. all with different electronics and pickups. my guitar player can't understand why I'm having problems with keeping the volumes the same between basses. I tryed to tell him basses are different then guitars, they don't react the same way. the difference between passive and active is night and day on bass as far as output goes. he can which guitars at will and not touch anything while I go from passive to active and damn near cause a blood vessel to shoot out of everyones brain,,,LOL

so my options are as far as I can see, #1 setup all my basses with the same electronics and pickups or, #2 find a front end setup to handle all the different basses and then go to power amp.....

I'm thinking cost would be about the same either way,,alot $$$$$

I tryed a boss GT6-B programable pedal, but it really is just crap is the sound department where bass is concerned.

I don't have the money for a Roland v-bass system, besides I would be paying for a lot of stuff on that and would never use half of it. so the last thing I can think of would be a small rack mount mixer. I looked at a few but all of them lack good preamps that would do justice to my basses!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you need more than one bass? OK the guitar guys are futzing around with different tunings, that doesn't mean YOU have to. Just choose the instrument that covers the range of keys you're working in, and learn to use the whole fretboard.

It's a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a programmable compressor with separate presets for each bass (which is probably what you need otherwise).

Why do you need more than one bass? OK the guitar guys are futzing around with different tunings, that doesn't mean YOU have to. Just choose the instrument that covers the range of keys you're working in, and learn to use the whole fretboard.

It's a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a programmable compressor with separate presets for each bass (which is probably what you need otherwise).

+1.

I've never retuned from standard. You can screw up your neck, but not me.

If you need lower notes... well, that's why they make a 5 string.

Another possible solution would be to try twisting the volume knob on your amp anti-clockwise if the output seems a little loud, and vice-versa if its too soft. Saves having to spend $300 on a pedal you don't really want. I understand this sort of output reguation is quite common in music amplifiers.

Another possible solution would be to try twisting the volume knob on your amp anti-clockwise if the output seems a little loud, and vice-versa if its too soft. Saves having to spend $300 on a pedal you don't really want. I understand this sort of output reguation is quite common in music amplifiers.

well yeah in the jam room it can be done that way cuz you have the time to test it and make sure the input gain and volume is right. but on stage in the middle of the show it doesn't work so good. plus the fact that you have DI to the board and if the house sound man isn't on top of thing then your either to loud or no one hears you at all..

agreed it would be cheaper to do it that way. but we try to limit the tuning time while on stage. the tunings we use are as follows.

my main bass is E with hipshot for drop D

2nd bass is D with hipshot for drop C

3rd bass is 5 string B with hipshot for drop A.

now here I could just get a 6 string bass and cover everything. but I can barely stand to play the 5 string(small hands). I'm basicly a 4 string kinda guy. we play old metal style so its kind of hard to make one bass do it all when I need to generate alot of speed finger wise on both hands.

Let me be the first to point out that you ain't paying attention. There is no need to change tunings with your guitar player. Say that second sentence out loud until it really sinks in, then to tell your guitar player to **** himself.

And "small hands"? Give me a break. That is the wimpiest excuse anyone could ever use. Look up Carol Kaye and learn that you don't have a problem.

Let me be the first to point out that you ain't paying attention. There is no need to change tunings with your guitar player. Say that second sentence out loud until it really sinks in, then to tell your guitar player to **** himself.

And "small hands"? Give me a break. That is the wimpiest excuse anyone could ever use. Look up Carol Kaye and learn that you don't have a problem.

well let me be the 2nd to point that you ain't paying attention.. you mentioned a 5 string if I needed a lower note, well I mentioned I have a 5 string and I also mentioned that I needed to go lower, down to A at the lowest. but I guess you just decided to over look that little fact. PAY ATTENTION!!

with respect to Carol Kaye,,, no need to look that up ,but please give me a break!!!!!! please show the last time she had to rip out some iron maiden on a 6 string bass or contend with a drummer firing off at 150-160 bpm. not so easy on a big bass neck. or perhaps you could be so kind as to post a vid for all of us to see that you can do it on a 6 string bass, with your fingers I might add...but you won't do that as your too caught up in your greatest I'm sure!!!!!!!

theres a difference between an excuse and a reason, which you have no idea about judging from your lamo answer to me.

I realize what is being said about using one bass to cover everything and I answered, it won't work for whatever reason. small hands, the stars aren't alined, the suns magnetic pull, pick one and lets get back on thread topic. if you have nothing useful to add then fine, read along and enjoy. otherwise you just make the board look bad with useless comments meant to hold you in such high regards. sorry no passes given here!!!!!!!!!

now lets try this again JoeAArthur, do you have anything of use to add to this topic????? if you need to go back and read the opening,,,I'll wait, , , , , , , , , , , , , I'll even help. here it is again

my problem is that my band uses 3-4 different tunings. so I have to lug around 3-4 basses. all with different electronics and pickups. my guitar player can't understand why I'm having problems with keeping the volumes the same between basses. I tryed to tell him basses are different then guitars, they don't react the same way. the difference between passive and active is night and day on bass as far as output goes. he can which guitars at will and not touch anything while I go from passive to active and damn near cause a blood vessel to shoot out of everyones brain,,,LOL

so my options are as far as I can see, #1 setup all my basses with the same electronics and pickups or, #2 find a front end setup to handle all the different basses and then go to power amp.....

I'm thinking cost would be about the same either way,,alot $$$$$

I tryed a boss GT6-B programable pedal, but it really is just crap is the sound department where bass is concerned.

I don't have the money for a Roland v-bass system, besides I would be paying for a lot of stuff on that and would never use half of it. so the last thing I can think of would be a small rack mount mixer. I looked at a few but all of them lack good preamps that would do justice to my basses!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now, in the context of the above paragraph what do you have to offer?????

Edited by gonzosc1

In my opinion, if you insist on having 3 or 4 basses, just make them identical in every way except the tuning. You could even color code them to tell them apart.

There is a way around your problem and just have one instrument tuned to one key. Pick a single tuning and adapt. What's the lowest note you need? Use that tuning and play up the neck for the others. Hands too small/weak? Exercise and build up strength. If you can't do that, try a capo. How about a Whammy pedal?

Also, in my most humble opinion, if you can't adapt and play the music the band wants to play, maybe you're in the wrong band. Just sayin'.

theres no reason to be like that to members here they're trying to help u, if ur not going to atleast try the suggestions that people are giving here dont post ur topic

agreed. he decided not to make any suggestions(if you go back and look) and went right for the cheap shot. its very common to find people like this on all chat boards. it was returned in kind +1. but no worries I'm done with him...

I have looked at 6 string basses in the past as suggested and didn't care for them. thats why I'm looking for an electronic answer.

Edited by gonzosc1

In my opinion, if you insist on having 3 or 4 basses, just make them identical in every way except the tuning. You could even color code them to tell them apart.

There is a way around your problem and just have one instrument tuned to one key. Pick a single tuning and adapt. What's the lowest note you need? Use that tuning and play up the neck for the others. Hands too small/weak? Exercise and build up strength. If you can't do that, try a capo. How about a Whammy pedal?

Also, in my most humble opinion, if you can't adapt and play the music the band wants to play, maybe you're in the wrong band. Just sayin'.

#1,making all my basses the same setup was one way I thought of also, looks like it might be the way to go..

#2, this has been answered I think.. the lowest note needed is "A" which would require a 6 string bass to avoid on stage tuning. people don't pay to see bands tune!!

small hands weak???? this I just don't understand, I suppose we can lay equal blame on guitarist when they can't play a certain solo! for whatever reason..

exercise and strenght,, never said I had a propblem with that.

adapt, I'll admit it, no shame here,, I can't adapt to a 6 string runway for a bass neck. I can barely handle the 5 string.

play! well I can do that, been doing it for 25 years and theres nothing that my band can throw at me that I can't play.

Short of replacing all the electronics in each bass so that they match (expensive I would guess, and still no guarantees that the tonality would remain comparable between each bass), or buying some special programmable preamp (also expensive), if you don't mind a bit of DIY you could make a bass switching box.

I made one years ago for my singer/guitarist, and although his only selected between 2 inputs, there's no reason why you couldn't expand it to four. Think it only cost $40 or so in parts.

You could have 1 input for each bass, each with it's own fixed level attenuator (or volume pot if you wanted to get fancy) and 1 output. Set the volume balance for each bass beforehand, say in rehearsal, and then when you need to change basses, sling the new one on and select the appropriate input on the selector. You could even do the whole thing in a floor box with a bit of ingenuity.

Short of replacing all the electronics in each bass so that they match (expensive I would guess, and still no guarantees that the tonality would remain comparable between each bass), or buying some special programmable preamp (also expensive), if you don't mind a bit of DIY you could make a bass switching box.

I made one years ago for my singer/guitarist, and although his only selected between 2 inputs, there's no reason why you couldn't expand it to four. Think it only cost $40 or so in parts.

You could have 1 input for each bass, each with it's own fixed level attenuator (or volume pot if you wanted to get fancy) and 1 output. Set the volume balance for each bass beforehand, say in rehearsal, and then when you need to change basses, sling the new one on and select the appropriate input on the selector. You could even do the whole thing in a floor box with a bit of ingenuity.

hell yeah, sometimes the simple things don't come to mind.. thats a good idea as I can still run the bass guitars output wide open and not lose pickup tones. I will investigate this closer. cool thanks

If the nature of your problem is just the output levels of your different basses, then the simplest solution would be to adjust the output levels of the instruments to all be the same. Because it seems that some are passive and some active, this will have to be done in a passive manner to suit the passive basses.

Find the "quietest" bass on maximum volume, and adjust the volume controls on the others to match this volume level. Now measure the volume pot with a multimeter between top to centre and between centre to ground. Then get a new volume control of the value of the measurement between centre and ground and a resistor of the value of the measurement between top and centre. Replace the volume control with the new one, and wire the resistor between the wire that came from the top of the old volume control and the top of the new volume control.

What this mod will do is effectively restrict the maximum volume on the louder basses to the level of the quietest. Remember, the vaules of the new parts you buy don't have to exactly match the measurements, you just have to be close.

Hope this makes some sense. There are other things you could try such as adjusting pickup heights etc which will also change the output levels, but may change the sound too.

OK, I must be missing something.

So your lowest note is drop-A, which you play on a 5-banger with a Hipshot detuner. Fine.

Now....why can't you just play everything on THAT bass?

So what if you're not on the same part of the fretboard as your strangely-tuned guitarist....so what? Just learn where the notes are on YOUR instrument and let the guitar players try to keep up!

Heck...you could even take that same drop-A tuning and move it to a 4-string...just drop the last string (which is more like a guitar string anyway, right?).

Think more like a musician and less like an engineer.