Looking For Idea Here On Bass Rig Setup

gonzosc1

If the nature of your problem is just the output levels of your different basses, then the simplest solution would be to adjust the output levels of the instruments to all be the same. Because it seems that some are passive and some active, this will have to be done in a passive manner to suit the passive basses.

Find the "quietest" bass on maximum volume, and adjust the volume controls on the others to match this volume level. Now measure the volume pot with a multimeter between top to centre and between centre to ground. Then get a new volume control of the value of the measurement between centre and ground and a resistor of the value of the measurement between top and centre. Replace the volume control with the new one, and wire the resistor between the wire that came from the top of the old volume control and the top of the new volume control.

What this mod will do is effectively restrict the maximum volume on the louder basses to the level of the quietest. Remember, the vaules of the new parts you buy don't have to exactly match the measurements, you just have to be close.

Hope this makes some sense. There are other things you could try such as adjusting pickup heights etc which will also change the output levels, but may change the sound too.

that is a way to go. I'm handy with the solder iron but know nothing about electronics unless it is spelled out for me,,LOL

I have the multi meter but basicly only use it to find shorts and stuff like that.

I did try to change the pickup heights and it helped but it did change the tones also as you mentioned.

I'll look into this.

OK, I must be missing something.

So your lowest note is drop-A, which you play on a 5-banger with a Hipshot detuner. Fine.

Now....why can't you just play everything on THAT bass?

So what if you're not on the same part of the fretboard as your strangely-tuned guitarist....so what? Just learn where the notes are on YOUR instrument and let the guitar players try to keep up!

Heck...you could even take that same drop-A tuning and move it to a 4-string...just drop the last string (which is more like a guitar string anyway, right?).

Think more like a musician and less like an engineer.

no, your not missing much.. I'm just not a fan of the big bass necks. its not the nut width that gives me trouble, its the thickness of the neck front to back. after playing 4 stringers for 25 years it just seems wrong,,LOL I'm just an old fart set in my ways so to speak,,LOL,, more then 4 strings and using guitar picks, your not playing bass,,,LOL

what I'm working towards is,,

I have my Warwick bass for E and drop D.

the Hamer Blitz bass restore that I'm working on now will be for D and drop C

and then my next restore, a 84 Ibanez Destroyer bass will be setup as B and drop A. just using the top 4 string from a 5 string set.

as the restores go forward I'll have make the electronics match up "somewhat", but still leave room for some tonal differences. I will go all passive which will put me in the same area as far as output goes. then find a preamp that will let me program the difference out of them, or something like that..

right now like with all projects money is a factory. everything is coming up on me at this point in time. bass rig is due to be replaced as its about 20 years old and could stand to sound better, its pretty shot.. gotta get my taxes done to see what I have to play with for all projects.

So your lowest note is drop-A, which you play on a 5-banger with a Hipshot detuner. Fine.

So what if you're not on the same part of the fretboard as your strangely-tuned guitarist....so what? Just learn where the notes are on YOUR instrument and let the guitar players try to keep up!

Heck...you could even take that same drop-A tuning and move it to a 4-string...just drop the last string (which is more like a guitar string anyway, right?).

no, your not missing much.. I'm just not a fan of the big bass necks. its not the nut width that gives me trouble, its the thickness of the neck front to back. after playing 4 stringers for 25 years it just seems wrong,,LOL I'm just an old fart set in my ways so to speak,,LOL,, more then 4 strings and using guitar picks, your not playing bass,,,LOL

and then my next restore, a 84 Ibanez Destroyer bass will be setup as B and drop A. just using the top 4 string from a 5 string set.

as the restores go forward I'll have make the electronics match up "somewhat", but still leave room for some tonal differences. I will go all passive which will put me in the same area as far as output goes. then find a preamp that will let me program the difference out of them, or something like that..

right now like with all projects money is a factory. everything is coming up on me at this point in time. bass rig is due to be replaced as its about 20 years old and could stand to sound better, its pretty shot.. gotta get my taxes done to see what I have to play with for all projects.

Wow (says the dumb checkout chick, "I say it louder"),

I jes think it is like so good how you can like express a totally ignorant thing aND everywon will think like it is just so cool cause you follow it with a ",,LOL,". I will just luv dat.

End I jes now how it es to only has those taxes to get things done. muny is all ways a factory - I lik that seying. mayb this yar cents the las 20 hasnot werked out fer ya de taxes will be butter.

Gud Luk!!

Wow (says the dumb checkout chick, "I say it louder"),

I jes think it is like so good how you can like express a totally ignorant thing aND everywon will think like it is just so cool cause you follow it with a ",,LOL,". I will just luv dat.

End I jes now how it es to only has those taxes to get things done. muny is all ways a factory - I lik that seying. mayb this yar cents the las 20 hasnot werked out fer ya de taxes will be butter.

Gud Luk!!

LOL,,LOL,,,LOL its funny how your IQ drops with each post...you still don't understand what a forum is!!!!

Edited by gonzosc1

well if you want to keep the 4 basses, why not turn the volume knob down on the active ones to match the passive one. you could even tape the knobs to keep equal output. being active also means that you wont lose the higher frequencies through the vol pot.

no offence, but you seem to be avoiding the simple answers. you shouldnt need 4 instruments to play a gig in most cases. do the guitarist(s) have 4 instruments each for the gig as well?

if you are really looking for a reason to upgrade the rig, then upgrade it, but i think most people should play a gig with one instrument that can play all their stuff. having more is just silly imo.

well if you want to keep the 4 basses, why not turn the volume knob down on the active ones to match the passive one. you could even tape the knobs to keep equal output. being active also means that you wont lose the higher frequencies through the vol pot.

no offence, but you seem to be avoiding the simple answers. you shouldnt need 4 instruments to play a gig in most cases. do the guitarist(s) have 4 instruments each for the gig as well?

if you are really looking for a reason to upgrade the rig, then upgrade it, but i think most people should play a gig with one instrument that can play all their stuff. having more is just silly imo.

oh yeah the bass rig will be upgraded. not looking for a reason to do it. its shot and barely keeps up with lead guitarist's Splawn amp.

as far as the gigs go, we are a cover band so we do cover alot of different tunings. if we did nothing but our own music then yes I would have just one bass.

my singer/guitarist uses 4 guitars. lead guitarist carries no less then 6 guitars to every show. all 6 are tuned different..

I keep it to 3-4 as I can make it work.

simple answers are always out there I agree, but not always the best for everyone. I guess I'm looking for the single electronic push button answer, no knobs to turn , just kick it and go kind of thing.

i think turning the volume down on the actives would work well, maybe a marker to show where it should be.

I'll give it a try. I had thought of it awhile ago but the difference in output was so big that I never tryed it.

my Warwick bass(passive) shows around -20 to -26 (digital) on the input meter on the comp. bass controls wide open, input knob on comp between 3/4 and full open.

the active 5 string shows around -6 to -10 on the comp(digital), bass control wide open, input knob on comp between 1/4 and 1/2 up.

up to this point I have been dialing in the comp input for each bass. I have different presets for each bass but the input is not saved with the presets. I just thought that the difference in output was too big and I would lose some tone, but I'll give it a try.

i think turning the volume down on the actives would work well, maybe a marker to show where it should be.

I'll give it a try. I had thought of it awhile ago but the difference in output was so big that I never tryed it.

my Warwick bass(passive) shows around -20 to -26 (digital) on the input meter on the comp. bass controls wide open, input knob on comp between 3/4 and full open.

the active 5 string shows around -6 to -10 on the comp(digital), bass control wide open, input knob on comp between 1/4 and 1/2 up.

up to this point I have been dialing in the comp input for each bass. I have different presets for each bass but the input is not saved with the presets. I just thought that the difference in output was too big and I would lose some tone, but I'll give it a try.

the active circuitry should stop you from losing tone. if you dont notice a difference then everyone else sure as hell wont. you are ususally your biggest critic for tone.