Which Laquer To Use ?

BA3844

Can I paint a guitar properly if I just go with a spray can lacquer made by Rustoleum or Krylon ?

Are these nitro-cellulose?... the label doesn't say.

If I use these lacquers, can I still clear coat and polish to as nice a shine as a true nitro-cellulose lacquer?

I want to do it right the first time, so far the VHT brand is true nitro-cellu and only is $6.50 a can at the local auto parts store, but only comes in black,red,white and clear.

many will tell you no. especially if you want to do it right the first time. i have used krylon. took a long time to master. i diddnt even know krylon made laquer. are you sure it is?

It may have been Dupli-color. It was at a auto parts store and it just was a spray can for auto touch up. Didn't say nitro any where on it, just that it was lacquerand had high gloss.

many will tell you no. especially if you want to do it right the first time. i have used krylon. took a long time to master. i diddnt even know krylon made laquer. are you sure it is?

It may have been Dupli-color. It was at a auto parts store and it just was a spray can for auto touch up. Didn't say nitro any where on it, just that it was lacquerand had high gloss.

i have had very good results with dupli color. i used their chameleon set on a few and they came out great. those arnt nitro though. just regular laquer. doesnt take as long to cure as nitro, wich is exactly why i hate nitro with a passion.

The cure time is something i never took into consideration. This is for my son's guitar and i am sure he is going to want to start banging on it within a couple of days after painting.

thanks for the reply

welll it also depends on your climate. i live in new mexico, wich has virtually no humidity, and all of my paints dry extremly fast, as much as 3-4 weeks faster if you use nitro. depending on where you live and its climate, it could be significanly longer.

Those paints are acrylic lacquers. You can use them if you want too. I know many people who have, but most, if not all of them, used a nitro clear coat. With a nitro clear coat, obviously, that puts the recommended wait time at about a month. I don't know about the drying time of the acrylic itself though.

Edit: I should warn, you have to be careful using nitro over acrylic. It's best to mist the nitro on very lightly, building it up slowly, before you start applying heavier coats. Test on scrap first.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Those paints are acrylic lacquers. You can use them if you want too. I know many people who have, but most, if not all of them, used a nitro clear coat. With a nitro clear coat, obviously, that puts the recommended wait time at about a month. I don't know about the drying time of the acrylic itself though.

Edit: I should warn, you have to be careful using nitro over acrylic. It's best to mist the nitro on very lightly, building it up slowly, before you start applying heavier coats. Test on scrap first.

CMA

Can I use an Acrylic clear coat and still buff it out to be a high gloss finish? Or is that what the Nitro clear coat is best for?

I don't want to fudge this project up. it is my first refinish job....also sorry for the long wait on the reply.