Veritas Low Angle Spokeshave

fryovanni

Hey all,

I just picked up a Veritas Spokeshave -link. I wasn't sure if it would be cool or not when I was looking at it, but thought I would give it a shot for $50. The feature that made me interested was the toe piece. Anyhow, Got it home, pulled out a piece of curly rock maple, and had at it. It worked very nice,using either toe configuration. I like the adjustability. I was pulling half inch wide curls off the board with smooth results, toe in either direction. Certainly seems to be a nice option for the folks who like using spokeshaves, and the price is certainly reasonable.

Peace,Rich

Hey all,

I just picked up a Veritas Spokeshave -link. I wasn't sure if it would be cool or not when I was looking at it, but thought I would give it a shot for $50. The feature that made me interested was the toe piece. Anyhow, Got it home, pulled out a piece of curly rock maple, and had at it. It worked very nice,using either toe configuration. I like the adjustability. I was pulling half inch wide curls off the board with smooth results, toe in either direction. Certainly seems to be a nice option for the folks who like using spokeshaves, and the price is certainly reasonable.

Peace,Rich

How was the blade out of the box Rich? Did you need to sharpen or hone it?

Hey all,

Peace,Rich

50 bucks? its 66 on woodcraft

50 bucks? its 66 on woodcraft

You know you may be right, I was grabbing a few different things, about fifty stuck in my mind but I didn't pull out the recept. Still I think it performs very well, and is like butter to adjust. The only Spokeshave I have found that seemed to be as smooth was the Lie Nielson curved sole (that runs more like $120 *off the top of my head), but they are different tools, I really like the features of the Veritas(in many ways it is better than the LN to me).

It was fairly sharp out of the box, I didn't sharpen it before I test drove it on the Curly Maple(just set the depth of cut). I never really worry about how sharp they are out of the box, we sharpen these things all the time so it isn't really a biggy to me. If you guys get a chance test drive one. I think you will like :D .

Peace,Rich

That looks pretty nice. I have a collection of Lie Nielsen so I just bought one of their smaller bronze spokeshaves. It is also pretty nice but does not have the versatility that the Veritas has (you have to adjust the blade depth by feel without fine adjusters). I still like it though. A good spokeshave is a lot of fun to use.

~David

That looks pretty nice. I have a collection of Lie Nielsen so I just bought one of their smaller bronze spokeshaves. It is also pretty nice but does not have the versatility that the Veritas has (you have to adjust the blade depth by feel without fine adjusters). I still like it though. A good spokeshave is a lot of fun to use.

~David

It is definately a different feel than a regular spokeshave. The low angle seems smoother as you draw it to you. I thought the way the Veritas was adjusted looked goofy(the blade being fixed and depth adjusted by setting the sole), but after adjusting it I found it very simplified(a first time user would not have any trouble, as it is such an in your face adjustment, and I actually used a feeler gauge to set the exact cut depth, and then used two feeler gauges for a staggered adjustment- very easy). The way you can flip the sole to use the wider or small foot was nicer than I thought. That smaller foot makes getting in close very easy. I actually took the small curved foot, and tried digging down and was able to create a very tight but smooth scooped out section. Not a traditional spokeshave, but very effective and user friendly.

Peace,Rich

Wow, I just might have to pick one of those up. It sounds extremely versatile. It will come in handy on my next personal project. I plan to tackle a strip backed lute with a veneered neck. A tool that can carve the tighter necks on those will come in handy. And another great quality tool is always nice!

~David

thanks for the review Rich, im a big tool collector as of late so stuff like this gets my wheels turning. I was actually on there site the other day looking at there honing guide. I have a cheap stanley one now that came in a package of a honing guide, a stone, and oil for 15 bucks, so as you can imagine.. the guide aint the best but thats all i could find locally. I am going to a woodworkers show this weekend and im sure i can pick up a veritas there so let me know if i should!

thanks for the review Rich, im a big tool collector as of late so stuff like this gets my wheels turning. I was actually on there site the other day looking at there honing guide. I have a cheap stanley one now that came in a package of a honing guide, a stone, and oil for 15 bucks, so as you can imagine.. the guide aint the best but thats all i could find locally. I am going to a woodworkers show this weekend and im sure i can pick up a veritas there so let me know if i should!

Get the Veritas rep. to let you try it out at the show(they usually have a demo model)*regarding the shave. The honing guide does the job, and will work if the one you have doesn't work for you. I am actually looking at sharpening stations. I think they could be a good time saver, and I have heard good reviews :D

Have fun at the show, and buy lots of new toys!

Rich