Calculating Correct Neck.

Hello all,

I have a guitar that I would like to get a replacement neck for. It's a cheap guitar (a dixon) that I'm using for a project, but it's useless right now because the frets are so bad. How do I measure to find out what size neck to buy for it ? I'm thinking of just buying one of the cheap take off necks that are on ebay a lot.

Thanks!

Kevin

Edited by jamforthelamb

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies. I had considered working on the frets myself, but I don't have the tools to do it. I figured it would be less expensive to just buy the neck then to get all the files and such (possibly more if the frets need replaced). I'm not always the most handy guy in the world either (electronics is more my strong point). Guess I'll give it some more thought.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Edited by jamforthelamb

If you don't want to spend all the money on tools that you may only use once or twice, get some quotes to get fret work done from a local luthier. It should be cheaper than a new neck, which may not fit properly. If the neck doesn't fit right, it may get ugly trying to make it work. But either way, I would either do the fret work or get someone else to do it, and then continue on with your project.

Do the work, you will get more experience. Unless the neck is twisted or broken beyond repair. About all you will learn from buying a neck is how to use a screw driver, and get mad and or confused if it doesn't fit.

Peace,Rich

That's only if he gets the wrong neck.... with the correct neck he'd only be learning to use a screwdriver....

-Doug