In Over My Head, Need Some Advice...

Well, I began working on my guitar that I've named the Nightshade. It's thru-neck guitar (neck purchased from Carvin) and the wings are purpleheart.

(I have some pics here but none are since I've glued and sanded the body)

You can see the pickups and hardware (that have not been mounted yet) on lying on the guitar and you probably don't recognize them. The Chromed pickup is a classic British pickup from Adeson and the humbucker is his Lucifer pickup... Well, I'm now glued and I'm having a hard time getting ready to rout for these pickups and I'm not wanting to use a pick guard... I have decided that if I must I will use mounting rings for both of them (wasn't planning on it but the idea is growing on me)... The problem is that I have a router but the base is so large that I can't rout for the single coil because it's too close to the neck. I have a Rotozip but it drops the bits often and I don't want that to happen, and it's not quite as smooth as I would like. Furthermore, I don't know where to go to find a mounting ring that will fit a trisonic/CB sized pickup.

Any advice would rock.

You could use a 3/4" thick piece of MDF to make a pickup cavity template, and cut a slot in the bottom to accommodate the portion of the neck that the template would cover. This way it would rest flat against the body of the guitar and have a large flat surface for the router to ride on.

That's pretty smart... I will have to try that... Only thing is finding a bit long enough to do so... Also, how deep should I rout it?

Edited by AXofBSR

You could use a somewhat thinner piece for the template; as long as it's thick enough to make a slot for the neck and still leave something for the router to ride on.

As for how deep, that depends on how you're mounting the pickups, the depth of the pickups, and the distance between the strings and the body.

You could use a somewhat thinner piece for the template; as long as it's thick enough to make a slot for the neck and still leave something for the router to ride on.

As for how deep, that depends on how you're mounting the pickups, the depth of the pickups, and the distance between the strings and the body.

I keep thinking and I think it's probably best that I use rings because they have the capability of height adjustment... the problem is that I need black blasting rings and I can't find any that would fit the CB.

This guy makes and sells custom-made pickup rings. Not sure if he makes the shape you need, but may be worth a try. He might do kinda one-offs or something. I had him make me a set for EMG 7 string pickups, and the quality and price are really very good! Very high quality work actually.

DJ

Edited by djhollowman

You could use a 3/4" thick piece of MDF to make a pickup cavity template, and cut a slot in the bottom to accommodate the portion of the neck that the template would cover. This way it would rest flat against the body of the guitar and have a large flat surface for the router to ride on.

this is what I do.