A Topic Nobody Really Covers..

Kenny

well, i figure people make very nice custom guitars here

but after searching i found NO information on custom cases..

there is the 1 pinned tutorial, but im talking about custom fit cases like a case that comes with a lespaul

or an RG

what type of foam? if it is even foam is used

any ideas?

maybe even useful tutorials :D?

because lets face it

a great guitar deserves a great case:-p

My dad grabbed me a big sheet of thick, sturdy pink packing foam, 2" thick, that I cut out to fill in the spaces in my universal case. I still need to cover them in soft foam and fabric, but it definitely works.

Before that, I tried a very elaborate method involving expandable foam in a can and plastic wrap, so as not to get the case innards or guitar dirty.

That one failed miserably.

I don't see what could go wrong with building a custom case and then fitting in foam pieces before covering the inside with carpet. One of the more accessible types of foam that springs to mind is the stiff potting/craft foam, something that could be found at a hobby/craft store.

I make all my cases curved and custom make every one to suit the guitar. The case is stronger than a rectangular case and takes up way less room for storage and transport. I lay the guitar on the sheet of ply and mark around it then add about 20mm / 3/4" bigger all round. I then use thick fake fur and glue that to the inside of the finished case and the guitar fits as snug as and doesn't move around. I always make a fitted neck rest as well to support the neck.

A good tip is to make sure your case hinges are in line so they dont bind up when you try to open them.

Edited by Acousticraft

I make all my cases curved and custom make every one to suit the guitar. The case is stronger than a rectangular case and takes up way less room for storage and transport. I lay the guitar on the sheet of ply and mark around it then add about 20mm / 3/4" bigger all round. I then use thick fake fur and glue that to the inside of the finished case and the guitar fits as snug as and doesn't move around. I always make a fitted neck rest as well to support the neck.

A good tip is to make sure your case hinges are in line so they dont bind up when you try to open them.

I have done upholstery for 6+ years and sadly enough know a little about foam. If I were to make a case I would follow this method with one or two changes. I would line the case with 1/4" of closed-cell foam(this is the foam that is under a vinyl top) it is very dense. I may even put a minimal amount of softer foam in places like the top. I would steer clear of carpet because it is more abrasive than your fur would be. That is just my two cents.