Fibreglass Onto Painted Wood

Masina

I was thinking of applying a thin layer of fibre glass on to the back of my bass guitar neck, with an undercoat on the wood, so the colour would be seen through the fibre glass. My question is will fibre glass stick properly to a painted surface? I've glassed a neck before, but previously onto bare wood.

thanks.

it's an neck I've made myself, so added thickness would be taken into acount, plus I'd only give it an undercoat of colour, then apply the fibreglass on top in place of lacquer. another reason for this is it would make the neck virtually impervious to dents and scratches, however if you think it isn't worth it, maybe I'll go with a normal finish...

Edited by Masina

Thing is this: fibreglass is heavier than wood, and I'm not even sure it's stronger/stiffer than wood for it's weight; Carbon Fibre has a good weight/strength ratio, and putting it on the back of a neck is a good place (lots of CF bass necks out there with hollow cores).

I doubt, however, anyone can give you a firm answer on this.

It's common for guitar companies to use polyester. I do too. (sprayed on though) It's basically fiberglass resin without the matting. If you insist on adding the matting too, get the thin stuff. As for potential added stiffness, it's possible (but I'm no engineer). It's all a bit messy though... sorta like coating a wooden canoe.

-Doug

People are allergic to just about everything from kleenex to dinner plates.... Has anyone ever heard of a person being allergic to their PRS or Les Paul? I imagine it's possible.

However, polyester resins in general are inert once cured. That's why paint stripper, acetone, dye, alcohol, lacquer thinner, ketone etc. has no effect at all on the surface after a few days. If you sand it though... the dust is not good for you.

-Doug

Doug, it's not the resin but the fibreglass we're talking about here.

The increased stiffness of thin fibreglass would be marginal, but more importantly unneccesary. I can't really see any gain from using the fibreglass on an already finished neck, unless you want to add texture to it or something.

I was thinking of applying a thin layer of fibre glass on to the back of my bass guitar neck, with an undercoat on the wood, so the colour would be seen through the fibre glass. My question is will fibre glass stick properly to a painted surface? I've glassed a neck before, but previously onto bare wood.

thanks.

If you were to do this at all, you should do it under the paint. You are right that light fiberglass (4 oz or 6 oz) is transparent once wet out with epoxy, but I agree that it wound't add much.

Doug, it's not the resin but the fibreglass we're talking about here.

Well I did assume the tyvek suit, nitrile gloves, respirator, goggles, ventilation, etc. would be employed.... so my mind just drifted to the end of the chapter where it's all cured. :D

I'd say keep the neck you have and make another some time with carbon fiber stiffeners in it.

-Doug

Well I'm going to have to put my two cents in here, when my dad painted my 6-string bass we fiber glass resined the back of the neck then We masked off some flames, sprayed silver, then unmasked it and sprayed candy read over it...Looks amazing, the resin added alot for strength, the neck hasnt budged at all, i need to adjust the rod in it now cause of new string but before it was dead straight. But i would STRONGLY recommend against doing that over paint. Because the fiberglass would leave a rough texture on the neck and you would HAVE to clear coat it, thus building up more material.

Bass-man