Stained Fretboard Question

I am thinking about using a maple fretboard, stained black but with the areas that would normally have markers dots stained red instead. I know this may be unclear, so I will try to explain it with a half-assed diagram (starting at the nut)

{}{}{}{}{}

Does this make sense and does anyone think that it would work? Im totally new to this, so any feedback would be appreciated

I am thinking about using a maple fretboard, stained black but with the areas that would normally have markers dots stained red instead. I know this may be unclear, so I will try to explain it with a half-assed diagram (starting at the nut)

{}{}{}{}{}

Does this make sense and does anyone think that it would work? Im totally new to this, so any feedback would be appreciated

If you stain the whole fret (the space between the frets) that would work fine, without any bleedings.

one thing you could do, is try to find some red dots and inlay them on the stained fb.

I see no reason that it wouldn't work. And if you have the fret slots cut first you wouldn't get any bleed through to the next space. The only place you will get some issue is on the side of the board. Or you could use dyed lacquer and will not have any bleeding problems. Soft maple is cheap enough, get a piece and start testing.

I see no reason that it wouldn't work. And if you have the fret slots cut first you wouldn't get any bleed through to the next space. The only place you will get some issue is on the side of the board. Or you could use dyed lacquer and will not have any bleeding problems. Soft maple is cheap enough, get a piece and start testing.

It seems logical, to me, that if you cut the fret slots, then stain the board, then taper it, you'll get the least amount of bleeding problems. You could always cover edge bleed-through with some binding work. :D

{}{}{}{}{}

Maple stained Black and red at the posistion markers. Sounds like lots of work. Maybe an black died board with a red inlay at the posistion markers, Maple died red. You will probably have to touch up the fret slots where you did the inlay but the color would only go as far down the sides of the board as you routed for the inlay.

maybe you should play with a piece of maple first to see how everything will work. Barring inlay I would seal the wood and tint the finish so the red and black is slightly transparent. Then you have to top coat everything again. Sounds like lots of work. Ugh

If you look at some 80's guitars the boards were painted. The Dean Signature Z series had a painted board. I forget the other model, but I think it was a Dean. The entire guitar, included fret board, was painted the same color which was offered in flourecent pink, fl. green, and I think fl. orange. Sometimes I miss the 80's but when I look at those things, I am glad they are gone.

If you paint it, you just have to use a durable finish like the two-part poly's or conversion varnish.

Edit: Sorry, it is the Dean Custom Zone

http://www.deanguitars.com/custom.htm

If the FB was painted, wouldn't there be other issues?

First, there's the thickness of the paint.

Second, there's the thickness of the finish.

Third, the strings & fingers rubbing on the thicker finish & paint.

Wouldn't it all eventually rub through? I'd think stained FBs would be much easier in the long run.

• 2 months later...